I Forge Iron

Are bellows required for steel forging?

Jeff Jabben

Are bellows absolutely required for steel blacksmithing with charcoal? I'm very aware that bellows are important and how helpful they are but as a propane blacksmith converting to charcoal I'm wanting to know if it's possible to use a lot more charcoal in replace of the bellows. Me and my family go to camp grounds a lot and I like nothing more than to forge outside and get to teach on goers and keep myself busy. I made a portable charcoal forge but there is no insert for a tueryre although one could be added, the next best thing is a short pipe and my lungs. Bottom line, Can the air pressure/cfm be replaced by more charcoal/better insulation? Max temps I will be reaching 95% of the time are 2200 degrees F.  

Thanks - Jeff

I'm curious what others will say but here's my .02 if you're planning on using a forge, yes you need to have some kind of air supply. It doesn't have to be bellows, it could be as simple as a hair drier or bathroom exhaust fan. You don't want to build a fire in a forge that is goin to be capable of drawing in the necessary air to reach forging temps. If you're plannin on using a camp fire you might can get away without any external air supply. I have had steel at the lower end of working temps using a small fire and got steel to med orange in larger ones. What I'd suggest is doing some more reading through the solid fuel forges section. There is truckloads of useful information there (everywhere on the site really) and it will take some time to go through and find your answers but if you look hard enough im sure you'll find somethin helpful there.

You could possibly create a chimney effect but I am pretty sure that the pipe required would be more of an inconvenience than a small hand crank forge blower. 

On the other hand, if you are patient enough yes, you could get away without a bellows or blower but heats would take at least a half hour and wouldn't get any nearly to 2200. 

more like 12-1400. 

I play with charcoal quite a lot, first, any form of botom blast is les than ideal, it can be made to work well but typicaly you end up with to much air, so you need a deaper fire to overcome it and you end up with an abundance of fire fleas 

side draft is a beter deal, start with an 8" deap pan or box, bore a hole to exept a peice of 3/4-1" black pipe so the botom of it is 3" of the bottom, fill the box with dirt or sand to the top and excivate a bowl 6-8" across and one inch below the pipe. 

It helps to place two hard fire bricks under the pipe and two with a hole cut between them as the back wall of the bowl. 

With any non person powerd air you need a way to control it or you will cool the charcoal, and send fire fleas every were

Edited by Charles R. Stevens

Welcome aboard Jeff, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI crowd live within visiting distance.

If you've used a camp fire as a forge you already know how hot you can expect. If you have a copy of "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" by Alexander Weygers then you have a good example of a self drafting charcoal forge. You'll still need something for a pot and a stack.

If you set up somewhere with a good prevailing breeze you can use something to form a funnel to a blow pipe for a draft. Yeah, I've done both.

Lastly if you have a hill or bank you can dig a trench in and cover you can build a hill furnace.

You can make a perfectly workable bellows with a paper bag or a piece of tubing and a feather duster.

Frosty The Lucky.

You can make a perfectly workable bellows with a paper bag or a piece of tubing and a feather duster.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've seen the paper bag trick but never heard of a feather duster one. Would you mind enlightening us? Normally I'd do a search before asking but honestly I don't even know how to begin searching for that.

Also look into the simple to build chinese box bellows.  (and note a smithing bellows doesn't need to be huge a small forge can get by with a small bellows that is very handy around a camp/cooking fire when not in use blowing into a black iron pipe used as a side blown tuyere)