I Forge Iron

Rust on blades (from leather sheath?)

Have a problem the bladesmiths may be able to answer.  My blades made from file steel tend to rust after leaving them in a leather sheath for some time.  The blades have a good coating of oil but no plastic coatings.  Would the rust be forming from tanning compounds used in making the leather or what?  I would think the oil coating on the blade would protect it but apparently not.  Any suggestions?

Holsters and scabbards are notorious for causing rust.  I have heard claims that the old method of brain tanning a hide will not cause corrosion but I suspect it is more delay than prevention.  I own a small holster made well before 1900 that will cause surface rust if a revolver is left there for a long time.  I don't store anything in leather - it is simply there for carry purposes when necessary.

Another factor is the environment - Arizona has less far problems with rust than southern Louisiana.  You are probably fighting an ongoing battle in Arkansas...

Brain is almost entirely fat so brain tan is a fat tan and the leather would be oilier to start. Still, I only carried my pistol in leather when on my belt. I oil or wax sheathes to prevent rust. Even if well oiled leather picks up and holds moisture much better than it dries.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks to all for the info on the leather sheaths.

Thomas, the steel is from a Nicholson 10" bastard file.  

Steve thanks for the tip on the chrome tanned, etc. leather.

The consensus appears to be that the leather is causing the problem, and that sounds to be my case.  The leather was simply cut out to shape and stitched together, not oiled or otherwise treated.  I imagine any chemical treatment that was used in tanning the leather didn't help the problem either.  I'll keep the blade out of the leather except to use it and try to oil the leather sheath to inhibit what I can of the moisture absorption.  Any other leather will be oiled and used only when carrying.

Edited by arkie