I Forge Iron

Grinding knife method?

Matt.L

So purchased 1095 flat stock sketch out my design and traced it out on my flat stock

right now im finishing the cut out process and ware does the final sharpening fall into

this is as far as i no the process of the grinding knife making process pleas correct me if im wrong

Design>Cut out>beveling/hole drilling>Heat treating>tempering

im curious where in that process does putting the final edge on the knife fall into

also i have a belt sander for the beveling and a disk grinder i also have some japanese water stones

i figured after all that i would use the water stones for polishing/sharpening etc

thanks

Edited by Matt.L

It's pretty much that way.  Between the HT and Temper cycle I like to carefully polish the blade to check for defects (cracks, warping) and to help read the temper colors.  After temper is the final cleanup, polish and fitting the handle/guard.    When grinding on a full hard blade be very careful and don't use hard wheels.  Be careful not to over heat the blade during the final steps.  As the edge thins down the belt sander can build up a lot of heat.

i see well my steel came cold rolled and annealed when i was cutting out my shape with my disk grinder i made sure to regularly quench it

so let me get this right so i understand after beveling and heat treating do i sharpen it with the belt sander then temper it then polish it

or does the polishing come before tempering thanks :P

sorry im very much a noob at this stuff

also two other things if you dont mind me asking

1. what do you suggest i quench it in when heat treating just plain water maby with salt or some type of oil?

2. is it possible to temper it in a slow cooker you no for like turkey and chicken blah blah it goes up to 450F

like do i put it in for like an hour at a sertin temp then let it air cool then stick it back in for another hour? till i get like a wheat color

Edited by Matt.L

thanks thats great advice i was just gona bevel down to a point but i did not no it needed some thickness that is good advice

so after tempering then work on final sharpening with belt sander/ water stones/polishing

so that last question is it possible to temper the blade in a slow cooker that goes up to 450F

NO!  do not sharpen until you have done the hilting and sheathmaking!  And if you are not planning on a sheath just save some more time and take a razor blade and start cutting yourself with it.  If you try to heat treat it with a sharp edge you are much more prone to failure.  The thickness of an American dime is usually suggested if you are in America.

Good Morning Matt,

Welcome, fill out your Avatar so we can see where you live. There is probably someone close to you that you can talk to. There is a HUGE section on Knife/Blade making that some of the full-time BladeSmiths put together. You are asking questions like this is your first (or nearly first) Blade. The Best way to learn is by reading the information the guys have worked so hard at making available. The 1st Fact, You will start by making mistakes, if you can't learn from your mistakes, STOP. Sitting at your keyboard instead of taking the time to read the information that is available here, annoys other members.

Neil