I Forge Iron

It is worth what you are willing to pay. Prices are all over the place depending on location. I pay $1 a pound, others are happy with $4+ a pound.  

Under 100# is a small anvil to me, I would say 125# minimum for a shop. I'm not real hip to the sanding it got.

Didn't see it at first; a closer look at the image shows a faint possible faceplate line just forward of the hardy hole. Have you physically seen the anvil? The serial number located on the left front foot under the horn would provide a starting point. So i don't get into too much trouble, the "Rolls Royce" is quoting Richard Postman. That's the weight in pounds under the trademark. I would easily pay $250 for it just to surgically remove the things accidentally attached to it. Please keep us informed...

Excellent. A rebound test is of paramount importance as stated here often, faceplate or not. Search "rebound test" on this forum for recommendations. Keep your poker face on and perhaps ask why the anvil was sanded/ground upon. Best of luck!

Thank y'all :)

I may be posting tomorrow afternoon to see if anyone can help determine the year if I can't do it based on the many posts here and elsewhere.  I don't have my copy of Postman's book yet.  

Edited by BifrostFarms

The HB farriers' pattern had a clip horn, a small semi-circular projection at the base of the horn. On your pictured anvil, it has been removed. The farriers' anvil did not have the rectangular 'cutting plate' where the horn met the step.  Some had a 'swelled horn' meaning larger than the waist width at the horn base area. Two pritchel holes were usual, the thinking being the farrier was always pritcheling holes and didn't want to shove the shoe off the anvil. The faces of farriers' anvils were typically narrower than faces on blacksmiths' anvils of the same weight.

LOL.  Ok, I'm going to like it here :)

I WILL need more than one eventually.  I can feel it!  But I haven't even built my forge yet.  I have to take care of my day job AND the farm first.  I'll get to play at blacksmithing this fall / winter.

Most of us have dealt with practicing the craft and accumulating tools, materials and enough shop space while dealing with a paycheck job. Heck, we only just recently rehomed the last of our livestock but got a reputation for socializing new and newly weened lambs so our old pastures get mowed.

Anyway, we've all dealt with only getting to the shop when we can. You already fit in here.

What kind of forge are you going to build?

Frosty The Lucky.