I Forge Iron

Hungrian pre WWII Cast Steel Austrian Style

P7063258.thumb.JPG.98189a9ee97db5a6b8f50

Hi there!

Several days ago I've bought this anvil. It was sold as German anvil. The seller said that this anvil after the World War II in 1945 was taken out from Germany, & it happens that this anvil was idle & nobody worked on it. Then I searched & was pleasantly surprised with such a good find: that it is Hungarian anvil made by SAC. Anvilfire link removed at the request of Jock Dempsy/anvilfire. 

P7063266.JPG

P7063267.JPG

P7063268.JPG

P7063270.JPG

P7063265.JPG

P7063259.JPG

P7063261.JPG

P7063252.JPG

P7063258.JPG

P7063251.JPG

P7063263.JPG

P7063264.JPG

P7063257.JPG

Question 1). what to do with holes on tha bottom? Through which anwil was attached by bolts to the stand. How can I repair these holes?Fill them with welding?

Question 2) . Is this part, circled in red, also the part of the face? Should I also polish this side together with the face?

P7063258.JPG

P7063255.JPG

P7063260.JPG

I do not want to attach this anvil to the stand using these holes. I want to restore it in origanal form. Or just leave it as is?

No, No, NO!  What is it's original condition, do you know? More perfectly good anvils have been damaged even ruined by people wanting to "restore" or "Repair" them. This anchor holes have absolutely NO bearing on it's usefulness or value as an antique. Filling them in reduces it's value, be it resale antique or utility value for someone who DOES want to bolt it down.

Leave that grand old lady as she is and put her to work. She looks like a real work horse of an anvil perfect for striker work and in good enough condition to do fine finish work.

Please don't damage that outstanding piece of history and shop equipment by trying to "restore" it to some condition you THINK to be original.

Leave her as she is and put her to work.

Frosty The Lucky.

Use the anvil for a year before doing anything.

DO NOT use the holes to anchor the anvil as there is a chance (however slight) that you may crack or brake the metal. Strap or chain the anvil to the stand or build the stand to have a recess to receive the anvil. 

You have found a piece of history.

On 7/6/2015 at 5:45 PM, Frosty said:

More perfectly good anvils have been damaged even ruined by people wanting to "restore" or "Repair" them. 

I fully agree and expect that the group is likely to also agree with Frosty.  You are more likely to ruin the anvil by trying to modify it.  Use it as is.

nice anvil, Ivan! I would use that bolt holes, just think that Fishers have 2 of them and nobody is afraid to use them. and you have 4. maybe you can use some thick leather washers under the steel washers if you would use bolts. like that you will not have steel on steel contact. but that's something I would do and that's your anvil...

that "circled" part of the anvil shouldn't be polished, it's not part of the face. maybe has a reinforcement  use, to make the edge less likely to break, or it's there just by "tradition", because the older has that feature too. note that the anvil has the horn to the left, as many Austrian pattern anvils.

On 7/6/2015 at 5:45 PM, Frosty said:

More perfectly good anvils have been damaged even ruined by people wanting to "restore" or "Repair" them.

Thanks for advice. I do not want to do harm to this anvil.  That's why I asked the questions before doing something. Taking into account all advice - I decided to do nothing with this anvil, & leave it as is. I just clean it from the red paint and rust (it was partially painted in red - someone was cleaning out the brush from the paint), I'm going to use a metal brush. & then cover it with wax ot may be you advice something else?

On 7/6/2015 at 8:41 PM, Glenn said:

Use the anvil for a year before doing anything.

Thanks! I would not use the holes to anchor the anvil as there is a chance to crack or brake the metal. I know it. I just leave these holes as is.

On 7/7/2015 at 2:31 AM, matei campan said:

that "circled" part of the anvil shouldn't be polished, it's not part of the face. maybe has a reinforcement  use, to make the edge less likely to break, or it's there just by "tradition", because the older has that feature too. note that the anvil has the horn to the left, as many Austrian pattern anvils.

I asked about  "circled" part of the anvil, bacause seems that this part of the anvil is also tempered. Steel ball bounce of it like from the face.

If you are going to use the anvil, clean off the paint off the "circled" part.  Then put the anvil to use.  Do not grind or polish this surface.  Just use it.

Thanks! Yes I will clean this surface. I'm not going to use this anvil right now, I have another one for use. Currently I'm just a beginner in a blacksmithing. I will work on less valuable anvil. I could not miss this anvil. So I bought it.

I like paste wax as a preservative finish on iron work. Johnson's paste wax, furniture or floor polish, is commonly available and a durable finish. My favorite is Trewax paste wax. It's carnuba and is used in heavy use situations, floors and bowling alley's for example. Another brand is "Bowling Alley Wax" is another heavy use Carnuba paste wax. I haven't used it but I haven't heard anything bad about it.

Any of these waxes simply wipe on and buff off excess when dry and it's good for years. The face will polish up under the hammer. If you aren't going to use it for a while a wipe with oil will keep it for weeks or months.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

• 3 years later...