I Forge Iron

First Tanto Knife WIP

senator

This is my first attempt at a tanto knife.  It has a flat grind due to the fact I do not have a fancy grinder.  I forged it as closely to shape as possible then hand sanded up to 320 currently. I am planning on a bronze finger guard  and a hidden tang covered in Acacia wood ( its what I have on hand ).  I used the Japanese clay method of tempering and am a bit surprised by how well the hazy hamon shows up even though its forged 5160.

fmn tanto.JPG

Looks more like it would be a drop point hunter with a funny ground tip. I have a question about the holes. Why did you drill that last one right next to the tang? I'm guessing you're planning on hiding it with the guard but I'm not sure.

"Tanto" sounds more catchy than drop point hunter with funny ground tip. The bronze finger guard will go around the last hole.  I am planning on brazing it on this evening.

Some of us have lived through that period where *every* knife was a tanto---like calling a viking seax a viking tanto.  Worse many of them had the terrible cold steel abrupt angular end on it which is not common on historical  tantos in Japan at all.

I can see your point. This is my version of a Tanto - esq blade.  I do agree with your comments about the "Cold Steel" angular ends...I do not like those.   Ill post up some more pictures as I get it further along and you can see how the last hole will be incorporated into the finger guard and handle.

I had a "Cold Steel" folder, pretty poor knife on all counts though I have to say the sharp corner between the straight edge and tip made it easy to sharpen. Now if you didn't have to sharpen it every time you used it it might've been a passable blade.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have been lurking here for the past two years or so and not posting anything for fear of the negative comments.   So far this post is going almost exactly as I thought it would.  It seems all I have managed to do is use offensive terminology to describe a hand made blade, and confuse and misuse metallurgical processes.  Much like this blade I am a work in process; learning all the while.  Thank you for all the comments.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I wrote you a nice response about not being too sensitive about the criticism and how these guys only want you to grow and learn and it didn't go through when I submitted it.   Lame. 

language not acceptable, for not being able to post, you seem to have posted this ok.

I don't think the comments to you were negative. They were informative. Some even encouraging ( Steve ending with "Good start"). The only negative comments I noticed were about Cold Steel brand blades.

Edited by LastRonin

Ease up brother, a critique isn't beating up on you. Terms and such are easily corrected and what the hey I LIKE naming your product what YOU want. The "Because I Say So Knife Company" comment was backing you, not sarcasm. It's like painting or leaving blacksmithing equipment and tools rusty, it's yours do as you wish with it.

I can NOT tell you how much I would've loved to have someone, ANYONE knowledgeable willing to tell me what I was doing wrong when I was learning blacksmithing. Being self taught isn't superior in any real world way, it sounds romantic but romance doesn't move metal in a controlled way.

Terminology is important, craft Jargons exist so craftsmen can communicate with each other and be understood. Finding out the right term is a good thing, imagine if the nurse assisting the heart surgeon working on your ticker thought a vein squeezer was actually a nubblin snipper! Silly example but that's the idea, there's a BIG difference in what people think something means and what it actually means. "Tempering" being probably one of the most misused terms anywhere.

I'm not a bladesmith guy but recognize good work and your blade looks pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing the next ones. I may not comment on blades, I'm not qualified to say much  more than OOOH I like that pattern, handle material, nice fit and finish. Those I recognize but I don't really speak the language so I don't try.

Frosty The Lucky.

"I'm not a bladesmith guy but recognize good work and your blade looks pretty good. "

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks.  I don't consider myself as a bladesmith either. Being self taught anything is overrated....I've ruined more projects than finished so far.  I don't mind the jabs.  My son had a coach that was on him constantly about his level of play.  In frustration one night he broke down and told me how upset he was about the coach riding him.  I explained " He is constantly on you because he can see higher level of play in you; even if you don't see it."  Turns out that was his favorite coach as the entire teams level of play was much higher with him  than with anyone else.  :-) Like I said ,thank you for all the comments.

Good story. People, like animals will live up to expectations, expect excellence and you'll get it, expect some delicate, thin skinned little victim and you'll get it.

"If you believe that you can or if you believe that you can't. You're right." Henry Ford.

Nobody's guaranteed success, just a shot at it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty