I Forge Iron

Hi, I have a cast iron anvil stand with a fine crack that runs for about 8 or 10 inches from the bottom up towards a corner, but not into the corner. Would it be possible to silver solder the cracked stand? I looked at some other posts on here and saw other methods with mixed reviews.

Thanks                                  

Your best bet is send it to a professional welding shop equipped to weld cast iron that size. Sure it can be silver soldered or brazed but controlled heating and cooling needs to be done properly or you're putting it at risk.

Frosty The Lucky.

Have to second Frosty. I have seen small block chevys mated (V16 700ci 700hp any one?!) and even cast anvils repaired. Not exactly cheep but they are not making cast stands anymore. Some shops are even abble to grind and tecture the weld as to make it nearly invisable. 

Brazing, either silver, brass or copper are options (preheat and controled cooling are highly recommended) as is drilling a hole to kill the crack, drill and rivit a plate at the foot of the crack and intall a few rivits along the crack (think liberty bell) all in all I'd poney uo the coin for a good welder.

If memory serves I have seen threaded rod used indted of rivets, drill and tap holes along and at the terminis of the crack. The addition of a claml wound help. I would be tempted to fill the inside with foam sealant as well. The truth is if the crack can be stabilized, the stand its self will probbably out live us all. 

If you are a decent welder, have the time, equipment and don't mind the color mismatch Nickle rod works nicely on cast iron. Still, no matter what it's at risk. No matter what you decide you need to drill a stop hole at the end of the crack to help prevent it spreading farther.

I was a certified welder and haven't repaired the cast iron rivet forge I have out back and it's a nothing to lose situation as it's nor really functional right now.

Frosty The Lucky.

What I decided to do if forbidden, well before is copy the post and if Forbidden send the pasted message in the "REPORT post" message I send to Admin. I've found that I can exit the thread, come back, paste and post successfully pretty often. . . . Stillllllll. <sigh>

As frustrating as it is I'm sure glad I'm not Admin trying to debug this platform.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...