I Forge Iron

Treadle hammer build pictures

Just to give you a rough idea about the BigFoot treadle hammers I built for Pam, myself, and others:

Hammer weight is 165#
The 2 return springs are 150# type.
Total unit weight is in excess of 600#.
The combo dies are 1-1/2" wide X 8" long

Tredle hammer - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

100_0155 - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

100_0157 - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

2 pair of finished faces - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

treadle hammer anvil & hammer faces - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

playing more - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

Results of a single hit, a double, and a triple in 1/2" sq, same heat
flattened_by_BigFoot1 - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

Just playing - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

Treadle hammers are very handy tools! Have fun guys and always BE safe!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW:Just a little update:

My initial sales strategy of BigFoot treadle hammers was to demo a unit at any organized blacksmith event I was invited to attend; my travel & lodging expenses paid for by that group. I want everyone to try a working unit before actually purchasing one for themselves. I never considered the possibility of interest being generated so quickly outside of the continental U.S.A (I am now open to suggestions from those outside of the "Lower 48".)

After the demo session, orders would be taken from interested individuals. At a predetermined time & date I would return with the "purchased" units to that same location; I and the unit buyers (only) would fully assemble the units. It takes about 20 minutes to fully assemble one of my units. Also being sold in a "kit" form, I am not subject to "product liability insurance premiums" that themselves would substantially increase unit selling price. The unit buyer would be responsible for final sanding, grinding, and painting of their own unit; another price savings. This also provides a window of opportunity for the individual buyer to personalize their unit.

The selling of plans is not an option at this time as there are hidden technical advances within these units. These advances are "Patent Pending" and each unit is stamped with that warning. (All unit buyers will be required to read, fully understand, and sign legally binding "non-disclosure / non-competition" forms.)

As a machine shop, job shop, owner/operator I have the facility and capacity to produce high quality precision equipment and tooling in a short period of time.

***My special interests today focus primarily on blacksmith needs and wants. ***

I'm not sure about the demo strategy. I don't see how a group would pay for travel and lodging to someone for the purpose of selling their product(s). Don't sellers usually pay their own way? Part of a marketing cost, I would think. Maybe if you offered to do a general treadle hammer workshop or demo using the Bigfoot - that would work. But I'm pretty sure the guy who bangs pots and pans together at county fairs pays his own way, including a seller's booth fee.

I'm real curious about those advancements, though. I can certainly understand why you don't want to share the design details, but what do they do? How do they make the Bigfoot better than the designs out there today?

Mark my answer to your first part: My initial sales strategy is based along the same lines as Clay Spencer and his spare tire hammer.

Answer to second part: Has a lot to do with ergonomics. Ergonomics being defined in the American Heritage dictionary as:"The applied science of equipment design intended to reduce operator fatigue and discomfort."

I guarantee the price is somewhere between the price of a finely-made well-known blacksmith's hand hammer and a modern air powerhammer.

I am bridging the gap between the two technologies, so it should only be appropriate to charge accordingly. A more important question might be what are the true costs to an individual's body and what will those repair bills cost?
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/santa-blacksmith-2193/

larrynjr, I am brand new here BTW. I researched alot of mig welders and bought a Hobart 187 from Tractor Supply in Oklahoma for around $650. It is a 220v unit with a 30% duty cycle . A Small argon/CO2 bottle will cost around $80 shipped on ebay. Hobart is made by Miller only 25% cheaper. Same warranty.

Hope this helps,

matt

Trying-It, my name gets spelled wrong so often I hardly notice.

There used to be a company, Meyer Machine Tool, that made a treadle hammer called The Mark. It was based on Clay Spencer's inline treadle hammer. I can't find any recent links on it, so they may have stopped. I used to get ad cards on it in the Blacksmiths Journal. I think they sold it for around $1000, and they had a pneumatic option that gave a one-hit power assist. Or maybe they *tried* to sell it for around $1000. I have never heard of anyone who bought one.

I don't think that Clay's tire hammer is the same business model, though. I've only heard of him offering workshops where people pay in advance and build the hammer. They pay for the parts and his time and leave with a working tire hammer. I don't think he actually sells pre-built hammers. He also sells just the plans, too.

I still have some of the flyers for "The Mark" treadle hammer. They were / are asking $1500 delivery included for the treadle. $850 for the "power pack" air assembly, or $2200 for both, delivery included. It looks like a good solid product but in comparison I like the style that seems to predominate here on IFI. The Big Foot seems to be of this style. For myself, it coming in a kit form, I would expect to pay less then a fully finished, pre-assembled product.

Thanks for the recommendation Tophand, $650 is a bit more than I would prefer to spend, plus I'd have to have 220 brought into the shop.

Welcome to IFI, go to the top of the page and click the User CP and show us were you are from. From your post, I'm assuming Oklahoma. :D

How long does it take to insert a pivot pin or two and put a lynch pin in the other end? Attaching and loading the springs does not require too much time either. Grinding, sanding, painting are only cosmetic features; Bigfoot can easily be ready to use 20 minutes after delivery, then beautified later.

I wonder how many have heard of "Product Liability Insurance"? If something is sold the manufacturer can be held legally liable for injuries, damages, etc, etc. Selling in "kit form" saves the expenses here of that same minimum $1million dollar policy as the "buyer" will alter the item from its originally sold condition.

BTW while I attended SIUC, students were told NOT to ever wire a lighting fixture that they had produced. It can be so easily done, but the artist can be held legally responsible if it "shorts out" and causes injury or fire. Pay a pro a few dollars for the service and they then become responsible for all the electrical components.

As always BE safe one and all................... Stan

The only improvement I still see now is to add more weight ALA liquid lead or sand or concrete to the ram tube for a heavier head weight.

Hi Sam, the improvements look good, I'll have to incorporate them into my hammer when I build it. Hopefully in the coming month.

I thought I read in another, or possibly even this thread. That the hammer head weight wasn't as important as the anvil post weight. I think I remember a ratio of 15:1 anvil to hammer. How heavy is your anvil post?

I believe I`ll fill my base with sand

I just picked up several 60 lb. bags of "sandbox play sand" from Ace Hardware, $4.99 each. I plan on using them as a place to normalize my pieces and anvil stand for my RR track for my daughter to use. Depending on what I end up with for my treadle, I'll use some in the anvil post and hammer head too.

My treadle hammer hits wicked hard, and it doesn't have a solid base, it's got a 6" tube with a solid block on top of it (with a 1" hardy hole in the center) I think the 15:1 or 18:1 (depends on who you ask) anvil to hammer ratio is really a power hammer guideline more so than a treadle hammer.
http://www.tharkis.com/images/shop/treadlehammer.jpg
http://www.tharkis.com/images/shop/treadlehammer2.jpg

5406.attach

5407.attach