I Forge Iron

Pie pan dutch oven

DSW

Beats the heck out of nonstic. I will take carberized food grade oil over somthing out of Duponts labs. Mom has traded me out of my old cast irom, lodge is a lot heaveir than the old suff that her parents generation had (I had pans that belonged to her aunts and uncles) now it will be 30 years befor I get them back! I hope my grand daugters can apretiate them.

I'm limited on what I have in cast iron. I've got a small cast iron dutch oven I was given by a customer who was divesting herself of a lot of extraneous cooking gear after Hurricane Sandy flooded out their summer shore house and they had to strip the  house down to the studs due to flooding. And last week I was asked if I wanted the cast iron frying pan that my grandmother used to use when my Aunt was clearing out old cook ware she never uses. I'm looking forward to getting them seasoned and trying them out.

My wife got some fancy pans with a nonstick coating but you are not supposed to get them warm enough to cook in IMNSHO so after getting chewed out about wanting to cook bacon in under an hour I went to all cast iron for my casita.  Got a stack of it cheap at the scrapyard (and no it wasn't used to melt lead---I checked). In fact I started stacking up cast iron at good prices that I've decided to throw in an S hook and cast iron skillet with each cooking tripod I sell.

I lost a 13 year season a few years ago when I traded up on significant others. Went away for weekend drill and came back to a dirty oven, half full of water and starting to rust. But that's okay.......she got the steel wool out and scoured it nice and clean. :( I won't even mention what she did to my carbon steel kitchen knives. Suffice it to say, the new handles are lovely, if not original, and I've almost got the patina all the way back.

I second Wally World for the pie pans. And failing that, there's always the internet....

The only steel pie pans walmart sells are either nonstick which I'd never use as discussed here, or an alumized steel which I know only what I found at Wikipedia and makes me a little nervous. Amazon has stainless steel pie pans for about $8 each. If I find any local I'll let everyone know and I'll 'take orders' if anyone wants one lol.