I Forge Iron

First knife

caotropheus

This is my first knife

izwjIVQ.jpg

and got more knife than I wished for: total length 485 mm, blade length 298 mm, width 52 mm, handle 187 mm, thickness at the ricasso 6.7 mm. I wanted to make a general purpose knife with blade around 200 mm long, took a bit of new leaf spring stock and forged this. The handle is a bit too heavy and the balance point is located at the guard. I wanted a flat butt to hammer stuff if necessary but I had to remove some stock to make the handle lighter

QtZmucG.jpg

I also left the hidden tang too bulky and micarta is heavier than I thought! Among other mistakes I made, it seems that I will have to make a lighter handle in the next knife...

It looks fine, and I am now doing some quick metric conversions in my head..hahaha!    I like the overall design.

A lot of folks here would call that a camp knife, and use it for cutting, and chopping various items when out in the woods.

You do know that you can cut the extra off if it is too long when forging, it's OK, we won't judge you ;) 

Real nice Cao! What is the handle material? Looks like a homemade Micarta of sorts? Now you know what to expect next time. Either start with a smaller piece of stock or cut it off during forging as suggested. I would not be the least bit ashamed of that knife. Good job indeed!

Scott

Thank you very much Gentleman for your nice comments.

The handle is made of micarta yes, I cut 15 cm X 3 cm bits of tissue (old trousers, light blue and black) and used fibreglass epoxy to glue everything. I glued the guard in place with epoxy and riveted the butt only then I glued the tissue in place.

The heat treatment was made the following way: after normalising 4 times and hopping the blade would not bend during hardening, I took the steel only once to non magnetic on a charcoal forge and inside used engine oil it went...Of course the blade bent a little! :angry:  To avoid any accident, after hardening, I placed the knife at 200C in the kitchen stove for about 1.5 hours. After that, in order to straighten the blade I forced the blade straight with the vice and temper the blade back with a torch to blue colour. I had to repeat this procedure 3 times to get a perfectly straight blade (and hopefully tempered)...

I am certain that I have a lot to improve in my heat treatment but the knife goes through 4 cm  diameter branches without much effort and I cut dry wood without destroying the cutting edge, so...