I Forge Iron

F. J. Edwards (Besco Machinery) manual ironworker

fantom designs

Hello, stumbled across your forum by accident while looking for information about what I just managed to purchase. Sadly I have not been able to find much on this other than the company started making sheet metal tools in 1937 and all the way up to the late 60s.

If someone has more information about this manual ironworker and the history, any manuals, etc, about them that would be wonderful. This unit appears to be minimally modified (stand I doubt is original) and it doesn't appear to have been used that much.

So here are my questions, if anyone can help

what is the capacity for cutting/punching?

are there any parts available?

does anyone know how old this is?

what is it worth these days? (I bought it and I'm happy to say it was at a very good price, just curious what it actually is worth).

Thanks for any information you can offer.

Mat

20150429_193600.jpg

20150429_193520.jpg

20150429_193532.jpg

20150429_193554.jpg

20150429_193606.jpg

20150429_193544.jpg

20150429_193526.jpg

• 1 month later...

That is nice! As to value You would easily be able to get more than 500 000.00 meticals in the market behind the Polana. Possibly much more if you found a buyer and carted it down to Ponte de Oro. :rolleyes: Seriously though this is an international forum and we don't have any idea as to where YOU are? Please update your profile to indicate your general location as it will help people to give you better answers. As to cutting capacities, typically this type of machine will cut up to and including the maximum size of mild steel bar that sill fit in the 'gauge plate' ie. If that 'round hole' takes a 1" /25mm bar then it would crop up to that size etc.etc. As for punching capacity it's hard to guess as one needs some sort of scale for the picture. Also punch designs really affect punch capabilities.

location updated, I'm in Canada ...no, I don't live in an igloo ;) 

I will try the suggested places, thank you. I've cleaned it up a bit and used it to punch a few holes and sheer some 1/4" thick bar and I can't feel any resistance when doing it so it's performing very nicely. I can see it will need some additional guards to help release the work piece after hole punching and of course some more dies but overall it is working beautifully.

As for scale, it accepts 1" round stock for the cutting dies, which appears to be pretty consistent with a 50 ton unit.

Thanks

When I was in Vancouver I didn't see the 'igloo suburb' possibly I took the wrong bus route:D.

I also think you should have a chat with your tourism authority, those cross country train trips seem to miss all the igloo villages!

Edited by ianinsa

• 8 years later...