I Forge Iron

Coal in Missouri

I hope this is not a silly question but, here it is. Does anyone know where a wannabe smith could possible buy some coal in Missouri? It is depressing to wait for a train to go by and count 53 cars full of something that you can't buy. Everyone I have asked looks at me like a monkey doing a math problem and says they have no idea. Help, please.

If you are seeing many cars go by loaded with coal (memories of youth in Central Illinois) you can always walk the tracks like I used to (heating for home) we realied on hand gathered coal for heat several winters as there was just mom and I. trouble is it's soft and smoky but once some is coked up fire management can control the smoke.

You'd be suprised what all you'll find waking the tracks anyway!

• 1 year later...
I hope this is not a silly question but, here it is. Does anyone know where a wannabe smith could possible buy some coal in Missouri? It is depressing to wait for a train to go by and count 53 cars full of something that you can't buy. Everyone I have asked looks at me like a monkey doing a math problem and says they have no idea. Help, please.

Go to Blacksmiths Association of Missouri : ABANA affiliate. to find a list where we ( Bam) keep coal here in MO. I keep coal here in Sunrise beach Mo. My web site is Home and email address is dfyeagle@eaglesforge.net

• 7 years later...
1 hour ago, Gerald Mosley said:

How to buy coal, is my. question

Generally speaking, "Find someone who sells it and give them money" works for me. Without knowing where you are, what quantities you need, what type you want (some folks like bituminous; others, anthracite), etc, it's kind of hard to make a recommendation. 

I did the digging for you at the BA.M. site. There are more coal sellers in the eastern part of the state. But Bryan Lillibridge, (660)-638-4536
    1545 NW 300     Urich, MO 64788 is listed as a seller. He is north of you on the way to Kansas City.

If that is not convenient, for you, check out the Saltfork smiths in Oklahoma, their coal depot is north of Tulsa Ok., (in Douglas). They sell to members only. But they charge $140 for a ton of coal. (7 cents a pound.).

Worth joining?

It just occurred to me that northwest Arkansas is near you too. They have a very active group and hold some of their meetings near Fayetteville.

SLAG.