I Forge Iron

Propane Forge Maintenance ??

stroupe63

I have a question on forge maintenance.  My forge is about five months old and getting a really rusty looking color inside.

When should I think about doing something to the inside ?

Here are some pics showing what it looks like.

forge_002.thumb.JPG.680a248453707ec977baforge_005.thumb.JPG.2d42d4c979cb3a6fecd4

Here's what the inside looks like

forge_012.thumb.JPG.bf489800d9aa2bd636cc

forge_010.thumb.JPG.16f7c9d9752dc7fe73a3

After five minutes warm up

forge_011.thumb.JPG.37b905f1d81200c274f2

forge_013.thumb.JPG.a7ed48ff6a59aa13ac31

So what do you think needs to be done to this forge to keep it preforming efficiently.  All suggestions are appreciated. 

Well, I'll try to stir up the hornet's nest.  You might want to paint the inside with Plistix or Metrikote  Infrared Reflective to help reflect the heat back into the forge.  I have noticed that sometimes my forge may get some discoloration so I just re-paint the interior which turns it back to white and so that it again has the reflective benefits. 

If you get a hornet's net in your forge you are not forging often enough.  They don't build 'em overnight.

Frosty, am I supposed to put in a few misspellings just to keep you on your toes?

I'm leaving this morning for the Batson Blade Symposium and will be back Sunday evening.  See you all there or we'll visit here when I get back.  If you are there come by and visit.  I will have IFI t-shirts and Steve Sells How to make knives.

You said you were going to stir up a hornet's nest and got my hopes up. I mean all you left me was nothing to twigg you about. What fun is that?

Best wishes to you for the symposium, safe trip, safe return.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a nasty puddle of scale in the bottom of my gasser, so do I chip it out and repaint with ITC100, or do I just throw kitty litter over top of it and forge on.  The crude gets on the stock if it sits in the forge too long while I am working multiple pieces and the crude wicks up the stock... Last thing I want is more scale...

I have a nasty puddle of scale in the bottom of my gasser, so do I chip it out and repaint with ITC100, or do I just throw kitty litter over top of it and forge on.  The crude gets on the stock if it sits in the forge too long while I am working multiple pieces and the crude wicks up the stock... Last thing I want is more scale...

I know a certain moderator that will remain nameless who has the exact same thing going on. I have pulled taffy out of that puddle before. I think he changed the brick, or are you still sticking in that puddle?

Is it actually a puddle? If so just dip it out, I made a little glassy crud dipper for my old forge. It's flattened on the end like a screw driver and bent in a 90* so I can dip, hook and remove slag a little at a time.

Are you welding? Flux is caustic at welding temps and silicates dissolve in caustics so it will either eat holes in the brick or vitrifying it. Once fire brick starts to vitrify it's melting temp begins to fall so the vitrification zone will expand.

If dipping the goo out doesn't do it just replace the split brick. I do.

Frosty The Lucky.

Its a puddle at temp...  No I am not welding in it and using flux. Just doing production work with piles of steel in there all hot for a little too long.  I probably need to try to tune things a bit better with the pressure and the ball valve.  I normally run it full out, so as I forge out thinner I need to get in the habit of turning down the pressure and the volume of gas I am using.  In that way a coal forge is easier, you just crank less as the stock gets smaller...  But I don't pull out nearly as many sparklers out of the gasser than the coal forge;-)  I just leave a puddle of scale in the bottom when I am working 6-12 pieces at a time...

Its a pain to tear the body of the forge down and replace the bottom brick, and the liner is in good shape except for the puddle.  I will see about getting it up to temp and scraping some of the junk out, and then throw some kitty litter in there, til I get a welding plate to stick in there to catch the goop as it drips off.

A little off topic to the original question but who is the maker of the wet grinder, show on the bench in your first pic. It does not look that old, is it something you can still buy new? Can you show a more detailed picture with the grinder and motor?

Edited by kubiack

Hi Kubiack,

I believe this wet grinder was made in the 70's. It was sold by the Prairie Tool Company Inc. Prairie Du Chien , Wisconsin.

It is a model G 7 with a 10" grinding wheel powered by a 1/3 hp motor.

Here's some more pictures.Wet_grinder_003.thumb.JPG.cf324758177726Wet_grinder_005.thumb.JPG.02d8468c068231

Wet grinder 006.JPG

Its a puddle at temp...  No I am not welding in it and using flux. Just doing production work with piles of steel in there all hot for a little too long.  I probably need to try to tune things a bit better with the pressure and the ball valve.  I normally run it full out, so as I forge out thinner I need to get in the habit of turning down the pressure and the volume of gas I am using.  In that way a coal forge is easier, you just crank less as the stock gets smaller...  But I don't pull out nearly as many sparklers out of the gasser than the coal forge;-)  I just leave a puddle of scale in the bottom when I am working 6-12 pieces at a time...

Its a pain to tear the body of the forge down and replace the bottom brick, and the liner is in good shape except for the puddle.  I will see about getting it up to temp and scraping some of the junk out, and then throw some kitty litter in there, til I get a welding plate to stick in there to catch the goop as it drips off.

​If it's just melted steel slag in the bottom of your forge, scrape it out while it's still melted. If you let it stick to the fire brick like clinker it will gradually lower the vitrification temp of the brick. Fire brick is a high Alumina oxide silicate ceramic and vulnerable to iron fusing to it, you have to get the slag off the fire brick or it will literally become part of the fire brick ceramic and lower it's vitrification temp to a melting temperature. I don't know the correct terms but it turns the refractory ceramic to a slag goop puddle. Once the fire brick melts dumping bentonite (clay kitty litter) on it doesn't fix it, helps temporarily but it's not a fix.

The puddle's melting temp will lower and the puddle will grow. Eventually it will ruin the floor of the forge and you will have to change it. Scraping the slag or other contaminants off the floor of your forge is basic maintenance. I don't think forge manufacturers cover this in the operator's manuals but they should. Heck, do they even have operator's manuals? I've never owned a commercially manufactured forge so I have no experience with their instructions.

A kiln wash really helps but you have to be careful they're designed for ceramic kilns and have different uses. The forge furnace standard is ITC-100 which is zirconia silicate and kaolin clay. the stuff is, llast time I checked, well over $100.00 a pint/lb. One pint can is enough to cover a large forge/furnace but it's really spendy. I've also discovered the kaolin doesn't actually fire into a hard porcelain matrix for the zirconia silicate, it eventually falls off as dust.

Last year some of us in the Alaskan Organization kicked in and bought zirconium silicate sand and have been experimenting with binders that work better than ITC's product. I've had pretty good luck just mixing it with the fire contact layer of the commercial castable refractory I'm using for my new forge. Oh, as I recall the straight up zirconium silicate sand cost us around $3.75/lb shipping included. Teenylittlemetal guy handled the acquisition  for us and can tell us the cost specifically if you're interested.

Anyway, Zirconium is pretty bullet proof stuff, it's the next best thing to diamond if you want hard, say for polishing, etc. It's chemically very unreactive though I don't think it's inert. It's melting temp is WAY out of our range unless you're using oxy propane for burners. Yeah, right.

Anyway, slag, flux, most anything in our fire isn't going to effect it at all. Just don't dump it in the goop puddle and expect it to fix it, it just mixes in to no noticeable effect. Well, I can't see it helping or effecting my goop puddle.

I've sure gone on a long time haven't I? Surprise! My short answer is scrape the the debris off the forge floor as a matter of your shut down procedure or it'll turn to goop melting the forge floor.

I'm citing " The  Kiln Book" second edition by Frederick L. Olsen for data, re. fire brick, refractories, etc. I picked it up for dirt cheap at a library book sale and it's one of my best scores ever. The entire point of the book is designing kilns using most materials available all over the world. It's charts re. refractories is extensive with evaluations.

I highly recommend it to anyone interested in why refractories work or not i various situations.

Criminy I gotta close or I'll get rolling again.

Frosty The Lucky.

Got it.  Goop eats floors.  Scrape as much goop out each time you fire off the forge.  Nothing fixes that kinda bad so don't let it get bad...  Check! ;-)

I still have most of a pint of ITC100, I think it was only 65$ when I bought it...  I washed the floor with ITC100 when I bought the forge...  Probably should have done a wash or two of Satanite, then the ITC100.  Probably would make it easier to scrape up the goop.