I Forge Iron

Advice on making Archaeologist's trowels

My daughter has asked me to make her three archaeologist's trowels (shaped like a cement trowel apparently) as gifts for her professors when she graduates.  Any advice?  I don't want to rivet the blades onto the shanks and I am planning on deer antler handles so railroad spike trowels won't work.  More keepsake then tools for use so tempering is not as important as appearance but I hope they will be functional.

Thanks for getting back so quickly Thomas.  I don't have a power hammer so I will do all the work by hand.  John, the photo you posted is absolutely beautiful.  Makes me want to shop not forge but forge I will.  The brass pin suggestion is a good one but I was envisioning an epoxy bed maybe a polished shotgun shell end as a ferrule.  I don't know if the mix between antler and shell end would work well so I may save that idea for another project.

My understanding is that it is a small mayson's trowl. The modify them, i belive they sharpen the edges like a shovel  

personaly somthing on the lines of 4060 would work well. Not as cool as a patternd billet but functinal. 

As to forging, start with somthing, say 3/4 to an inch, forge down and draw out the tang, point the working end and draw out a nice point and then forge it out nice and thin. A flater is your friend

For a using version yes,  for a keyring perhaps a low C stainless?  Though the cowboy hat Dave Hammer gave me is staying nice and shiny just being mild steel.

High carbon helps not only in the springiness and being able to make it thinner and so lighter but still strong; it also is more durable in use.

The struggle has begun.  I started with 1" x 1/2"  bar stock from a scrap yard.  Forged a flat taper at one end then began to draw a small square taper for the handle and the shank.  So far so good.  It seems to be taking shape as I envisioned but I won't know more until after lunch.  I'll post pictures when I get done if its not too embarrassing. 

Shoot generally takes me several goes at something before I get one I'm willing to send out of the shop...  You might make a gag version too---say take one and curl up the trowel end in a nice spiral...

Note: Not directed at the poster, random comment:  It always amazed me that someone who will try 90 times to get through a video game would expect to get through a project the first go at it...(especially when the project is one that an expert would expect to struggle a bit with...)

I suppose it's too late for me to suggest finding an old discarded shovel for stock? I'd use coil spring before I used leaf, it's less work to get to profile believe it or not. I agree with John, ceremonially killing the trowel is a perfect retirement gift. Any bogs close?

Frosty The Lucky.

I love all the comments.  The question has taken legs of its own.  So much the better.  To clarify my daughter is graduating college this spring and she wants the trowels as gifts for her professors/mentors.  She is the one leaving not them so destroying the trowels seems inappropriate as gifts unless she gets bad grades.  Thanks again for the suggestions and the humor.  I never got back to the forge today but tomorrow is looking good.  Retirement looks even better.

Edited by Reading Creek Forger

I carried hod and mixed mud for a while when I first moved to Alaska. My respects to masons, hard working guys.

How's this, jelly roll some nicely contrasting steel. Split the billet and forge the trowels from from the inside of the cut. Or quarter it and do the same. Now I suppose if a Father were to get fancy he could forge a basic billet and incise or grind the shapes of an artifact or human bone through the lamina and forge that into trowels.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hmm now that would be a strictly ornamental version---laser cut with "artifact" outlines.  

Making a plaque with a brass plate engraved: "This trowel was used in the excavation of the Motel of the Mysteries" would make another nice gag...Pushme-pullme trowels, etc.

I made a pointing trowel out of a piece of 3/4" square bar in 2013 just because I did not have much to do one night.  The handle, shank,  and blade are all in one.

I'm trying to figure out how to get pics from my iphone to this site (I know that I'm way behind in the times when it comes to this simple procedure.).