I Forge Iron

Advice on making Archaeologist's trowels

You got me Charles what paper clips.  I finished the blade portion but it looks more like a spear tip and not the sharper straight lines of the design at the beginning of the post.  Some other flaws but I hope to bend the shank and attach the handle tomorrow then a pic or two but this may end up being a prototype. 

A few days ago I posted a request for advice on making trowels for my daughter to give to three of her Archaeology/Anthropology professors when she graduates this spring. These are three pics of the first one. The others will be different but this one provided some insight on design, strategy and technique improvements. Thanks for the advice.

10855158_828599247225266_24906621946419211130472_828599323891925_20398123969265310583060_828599353891922_849154154691483
Edited by jeremy k

If you still have the edit button available, click it and look for a little red line surrounding the pic. If it's still there there's a little arrow thingy in a red square try dragging it towards the opposite corner and see if that makes the pic go away.

Nice trowel by the way. Might could use some shining up but it has a good solid utilitarian look with the it has now patina now.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Frosty, that was the first one, the second turned out a little better (shotgun shell ferrule and a twisted shank with straight edges on the blade. not arced).  The third I opted to use to to clean the BBQ grill and I am fighting with the fourth one.  I've got about four more to days to get it done.  I tried shinney but I like the darker look, more uniform and doesn't show the flaws as much.

Edited by Reading Creek Forger
spelling, can't type

Oh yeah, nothing like polishing to show up blemishes. A nice as forged patina is an artistic statement after all. Everybody knows THAT!

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished pics.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 years later...