I Forge Iron

Anvil identification

You have a Trenton and if Im reading the s/n correct A5878 that would be 1898. If there is another number after the 8 then it would be 1906.  The Z254 refers to the weight and one of the anvil makers. Looks to be in good condition. Hows the rebound, drop a ball bearing on the face from about 10 inches and see how high it bounces back. 7" would be 70%, 8"=80%. 

It comes down to what you can afford, not what others will pay. My personal pain level is around $1 a pound-just bought a 138# Peter Wright for $100 a couple of weeks ago-for others it may be $4 a pound. Again, that is all determined by location, condition, maker preferences, personal finances, etc...

This one has some condition problems that I would look at closer. The chipping around the hardy hole , and the area of the table just in front of the face looks like it was repaired, or has a carck-may just be the picture though.

Trenton's are supposed to be a good anvil - well known maker. 254# is a good weight, if you are doing larger work. My main anvil is a 260# Fisher. 

Will this anvil work for your situation, and what can you comfortably pay for it?

Will the owner possibly trade for something?

If this is a make offer situation, set your limit, go get the Benjamins from the bank, and make a slightly lower offer. But do not go there without the cash in your pocket. I have been able to haggle good deals by talking with the seller for a bit. Then again they may have taken the lower offer just to shut me up :D. Mainly I let them know that they are selling the item yo someone who is looking to use it, not collect it, or resell it.

I pulled some nice anvils out of that area when I lived in Fairfield.

Good luck!

Thank you for the great advice.  I had to pass on this one he wanted 800$ for it. and upon closer inspection it has some damage that I just dont like.  It has one spot of weld or brazing,that biggun also noticed.  It looks like a crack was ground out and filled, but its hard to tell.  Then was going to trade him a rifle I just built that sells for 1500. I told him i would trade at a 1000 dollar value and he wasnt willing to put any cash up on his end a straight across trade was all he would do. :unsure:  So its been on craigslist for the last three weeks because he wont take offers.

I am looking at a peter wright now.  Which is what I really want because the old post vise i use from my grandfather is a peter wright.  Right now it a trade deal.  the anvil and new lincoln 180HD welder from my rifle.  Hopefully it all goes through.

~140 lbs

pw%20anvil%201_zpsvu5jsrgm.jpg

pw%20anvil%202_zpsetw1ja9l.jpg

pw%20anvil%206_zpso3hfamyc.jpg

pw%20anvil%203_zpsok5gbhu6.jpg

pw%20anvil%204_zpsmzrgmgbg.jpg

pw%20anvil%205_zpsafvvmkjm.jpg

If I read the last number right (24) it is 136#. Looks in good shape overall, better than the other one. 136# is a decent size to work on. 

As to the other one......keep an eye on it. Did you give him your contact information? If not, do so. He may realize that his price is just too high for the condition, and offer it to you for less. Maybe way less. I have seen it happen before. If he knows you are looking to use it, and not flip it, he may work a deal. 254# would make a good platform to work some larger stock. The main area you would use in the center looks OK. Maybe you have something else to barter with that would be a better deal for you. Worth a shot anyway.

I pulled the trigger on an anvil today weighing in at 208lbs!  Its looks to be in ok condition.  A couple shallow imperfections in the top.  Its an Arm and Hammer brand which is exactly what i was looking for.  The only thing that really stuck out at me was a clear seam between the upper and lower half.  it also has some rough large forging/ hammer marks on the back underside.  I was reading that the rough look of the arm and hammers is normal due the way they were made.  but is the seam normal looks like two pieces of metal were used to make the anvil or it was broke in half and put back together.  Sorry for my ignorance on this subject!  Any information will be great and Ill keep reading through the foums.

IMAG0080_zpssbmo5jpt.jpg

IMAG0081_zpsv9yks8k8.jpg

IMAG0082_zpsfc5qstwc.jpg

IMAG0084_zpsnbthoxoa.jpg

IMAG0085_zpsoli3hxgk.jpg

IMAG0086_zpsfekjfdlb.jpg

IMAG0087_zpsgdt3d2ro.jpg

Made between 1935 and 1938 in Columbus Ohio, USA.

Yes they were made with a top and bottom pieces; earlier ones were forge welded together, later ones were arc welded together, you have a later one. The face is forge welded on.

Considered a top brand an an excellent example of how attenuated American anvils grew with a quite thin heel; an especially good anvil for ornamental work!

nice, i dont go down south of chico very often. I used to live in santa rosa for quite a while when i was going to jr college, i liked it for the most part. i cant wait to start working on it and get the power hammer up and running. My time is limited during semester but I still get a little done.

yes, I have heard about him.  he tried to buy the arm and hammer I just got (according to the seller).  the sr guy came to view the collection when it was close to 100 anvils.  the guy I bought from didn't care for his business practices,  nor has anyone else I've spoke to.  I know where he is located my family still lives down in sr.  I don't know anything about him or what he has  just what I have heard from other people.  he has some ads on craigslist. have you bought stuff from him?

Edited by smfg_mendo

No, he is waaaaay out of my price range. A friend of mine went and looked at his collection of gear. He said it was all high quality pieces, and lots of it. He told my friend it was his retirement fund, and he was selling as he needed the money, but I think with current prices he is just cashing in now.

You got a very nice anvil in great shape. I just wonder how many of these anvils are sold, and then never used for smithing. Or, how many are purchased by someone with big eyes who then realizes it isn't the hobby for them - it isn't as easy as it looks..........

I think that happens alot. case in point the guy i bought this anvil from had very little interest in smithing, just loved collecting anvils?!.  he was into hot rods and car building so he occasionally used them for that.  Everything I got from my grandfather has clearly been well used minus the power hammer.  He cared for all his equipment well,  because he made a living with it so its still in good working order.  I think some of the hammers are even my great grandfathers based off the markings.

Edited by smfg_mendo

I cleaned it up a bit today after I got home. I love all the character and forged marks from the factory. I read they were forged with steam hammers here is a pick of the steam hammer forge finish.   I left some of the paint on it, I like the look of it that way. perfectly flat not one dished area.

IMAG0088_zpscyi5zyet.jpg

IMAG0091_zps07whqg7s.jpg

IMAG0089_zpsm8hfvxwu.jpg

IMAG0090_zpslksknfiu.jpg

IMAG0093_zps1uocvkpw.jpg

IMAG0094_zpsc18hrw9r.jpg

Edited by smfg_mendo

Highly recommended reading that is not just for anvilites, Mr Postman has created and researched information that is worthy of just rewards.  Many people that I have passed on information that I learned never knew the manufacturing process and or the labor involved in an anvil. They pretty much assume they just come from a mass production line. Most research is related to how much they can sell it for! 

Factory ceased anvil production in 1950 with approximatly 52000 Arm & Hammer anvils made.