I Forge Iron

Anvil identification

Thank you for the historical information seems like a low production number compared to others like trenton.  Maybe that i why I don't see many out here.  IMO tracking down the historical information is one of the best parts about restoring this old equipment and bringing back in to service.  I found out so much about my grandfathers power hammer just by calling up Little Giant, and no price would ever get it from me!   I just moved into my new home and the garage isn't finished yet so not all my equipment is here yet or running, its driving me nuts to say the least I need to build faster!  so here are some more poser pictures with some of my tools made by Aaron Cergol.

A farmers dagger, a 4 pound rounder, and a punch handle is cocobolo, I made the sheath from an old pistol holster.  made a para-cord lanyard with a stainless shackle at the end.

IMAG0112_zpsjst9bqry.jpg

IMAG0111_zpskhd6mm4v.jpgIMAG0113_zpshpd8mgl2.jpg

IMAG0101_zpsjnce6ydd.jpg

Edited by smfg_mendo

Was it your intent to leave the heavy hammer marks? I'd be concerned they'd make weak points where a failure could originate under stress. Bearing in mind I'm not a bladesmith, the deep depressions running across the blade just catch my eye and say "serious flex limiters"

Frosty the Lucky

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had some time to make an anvil stand today.   It is made from the cross beams from the tops of power poles. I had a hole stack of them lying around. I still have to secure the anvil. I also have a flat piece of walnut for the top.

IMAG0149_zpscg5omb9p.jpg

IMAG0153_zpst15g6uxz.jpg

IMAG0152_zpsk6tqvxbw.jpg

That's a good stand, I especially like it you left the retroreflective strip on it. It'll be easy to find in the dark.

A curved piece of wood that fits between the feet is a good way to secure it. I don't think I'd put a flat board between the stand and anvil, the more direct the support the better.

Frosty The Lucky.

nice stand, now forge a couple of tong/tool holders for it that can double as handles....

I agree that a cross board on top is going the wrong way.  How about making a simple template of the bottom and then routing the top to make a nice flat bottomed inset for the anvil to fit in?.  (after a little use you can go back with a chisel and finesse places where the base of the anvil wasn't flat)  The treated wood will not be fun to route but a carbide type should do it, may need cleaning with a solvent if it gunks up.)

Thanks frosty and thomas for the great advice.  The piece of walnut is so nice looking i wish i could use it for something! would it hurt my setup to have it under the anvil?  seems like it would allow all the downward force to be evenly distributed across the cut faces of all the timbers.  I found these today in some of my junk i think they are railroad track hold downs.  thinking i could run a lag bolt through the looped ends and another at the notched end to keep it snug up against the anvil base?

IMAG0156_zps48vkqtor.jpg

IMAG0158_1_zpsie9rslvo.jpg

Edited by smfg_mendo

Quickly sanded the surface of the stand and got it nice a level. then attached the railroad track straps. They work great in their original shape and fit the anvil base nicely. I was one lag bolt short however.

I still have to drill and drive in 2 railroad spikes on the adjacent base corners  to keep the anvil from rotating the other direction as well as hold it tight to the surface of the stand.

IMAG0161_zps4cyusefd.jpg

IMAG0160_zpsxe4ldsj1.jpg

Edited by smfg_mendo

Well its all done just going to add a ring around the very top to help hold it all together. will forge some more holders when I finish moving and my shop is up and running.  I need to shim the one railroad spike i used an existing hole in the timber and it was a little too far from the anvil only got a small bite on the edge of the base.

The hammer holder his a control box mount for a railroad terminal box made by wrrsc (western railroad supply co)

Ill stop posting pics now!

IMAG0172_zpsn7ntcfhe.jpg

IMAG0169_zpszig4emxn.jpg

IMAG0168_zpseixuhqvc.jpg

Edited by smfg_mendo

• 6 months later...

Finally picked up my swage block today, it was my grandfathers also.  I bring home more and more pieces as time allows me and I make space for it all at my house.

I will be buidling a stand in the next couple weeks

Is there any way to date these old block?  Who manufactures them?

15x15

swage%20block%202_zpsix7obqcu.jpg

swage%20block%203_zpsp4yxfwdf.jpg

swage%20block%20_zps46235cas.jpg