I Forge Iron

I have looked through what I have found archived here on the Rhino anvils but I was wondering if anyone here might have been working on one for a while now and how they feel about it over an extended period of use.  I want some version of this German/European double bIck style to replace my old London pattern 278 lb. anvil and I like that these are U.S. made and manufactured on the left coast, to save some shipping expense.

If you do a seach for Rhino in the seach box,I think you will find what you are looking for here.I will say Steve makes a good anvil and also has some nice hardies to boot. I like his Touchmark Tools as well

Ironmike

I have used the Rhino anvil several times. Incandescent Iron Works sells them. I am not experienced enough to talk about the 'feel' of the anvil but Steve has used them for years in his classes and they seem to have held up really well. They are made of an air hardening cast steel that is tough, through hardened, and a purported HRc @ 56. I haven't tested the rebound, Steve thought it was high (90%). They are cast in Airway Heights, WA.

Bo

I own a Rhino anvil and its a great anvil.  I would recommend them to anyone.  I own the Papa Rhino 242 lbs.  The only thing I don't like about it is, the horn doesn't come to a point.  Which makes it hard to use on something small.  Like a small scroll or to forge open a bottle opener hole after drifting it.  Stuff like that.  Other than needing a bick for smalls like that I wouldn't trade it for its weight in gold.  Ok I would, but I would immediately buy another one.

I own a Rhino anvil and its a great anvil.  I would recommend them to anyone.  I own the Papa Rhino 242 lbs.  The only thing I don't like about it is, the horn doesn't come to a point.  Which makes it hard to use on something small.  Like a small scroll or to forge open a bottle opener hole after drifting it.  Stuff like that.  Other than needing a bick for smalls like that I wouldn't trade it for its weight in gold.  Ok I would, but I would immediately buy another one.

​Thanks to you and to the other people who responded as well.  You mention one of a couple things I am worried about regarding it.  The lack of an actual point on the bick is of concern, but I noticed that Steve also offers what appears to be a very nice bick hardy tool for a reasonable price that potentially could offset that drawback for things like the bottle openers you mention.  These days I don't make much other than bottle openers so having a good point right on the anvil is also very important to me.  The other thing that is of concern to me is the position of the pritchel hole.  It appears to me to be very far down the flat bick. I have become accustomed to using a holdfast in the pritchel hole to my right, and having my work to the left of that.  I do a lot of small scale modeling of things like leaves and hops flowers and I like to clamp my work to the anvil face with the holdfast while I work with the punches and chisels.  The pritchel hole on the Rhino anvil seems like it is so far down that horn that there will not be enough material thinkness to get a hold fast to clamp well.  It is so far down there I am concerned a holdfast might actually break the end off the horn, if I ever was able to get it to clamp.  Do you have any input you could offer on this concern?  I'd really appreciate it.

(The Papa Rhino was the specific size I was considering)

I went to their site as I had never heard of this brand. I found it interesting that they make a big point that these anvils are cast in the States, then they mention in their materials section that they can get steels imported from China much cheaper than you can from the States. Kind of like , Hey buy our anvil because we make them here, but we won't support steel manufacture here by using steel made here.  That fact alone would make me balk at buying one.

I went to their site as I had never heard of this brand. I found it interesting that they make a big point that these anvils are cast in the States, then they mention in their materials section that they can get steels imported from China much cheaper than you can from the States. Kind of like , Hey buy our anvil because we make them here, but we won't support steel manufacture here by using steel made here.  That fact alone would make me balk at buying one.

​I appreciate your sentiments but I suspect that much of the steel used in American industry these days is imported from China.  These anvils used to be made there too, so making them here is a significant improvement.  

If I were buying a double horn anvil I would want the hardie hole on the left by the horn, and a point on the horn for that matter.  The other tools he sell look very nice, and I may get the whole set of hardie stakes he makes.  The price on the Rhino is hard to beat...  The Nimba's have a nice pointy horn, though it is a bit fat at the base for my taste, and they have the hardie hole out by the horn.  Its actually a little too close to the horn for my taste. Since the cone of the horn butts up to the body, and there is a bit of a shoulder at the joint. There is no waist to the anvil at all, and I'm sure you couldn't break the heel off of it.  The Rat Hole/Fontanini anvil is a nice design, but has a horn that looks more at home on an old Peter Wright than a European double horn anvil.  I much prefer the conical horns like on the Refflinghaus, and the Peddinghaus, if I can sell a kidney on the black market I might be able to afford one someday???  ;-)

The Habermann anvil is weird, south german pattern, pritchel holes out by the horn and the hardie toward the heel, and the shelf off the near side heel... was really turned off when I noticed all of that.  Would rather have a Refflinghaus #9 or a Peddinghaus #12;-)  Or a Tom Clark

Edited by SJS
stupid double post, and more to say;-)

​Thanks to you and to the other people who responded as well.  You mention one of a couple things I am worried about regarding it.  The lack of an actual point on the bick is of concern, but I noticed that Steve also offers what appears to be a very nice bick hardy tool for a reasonable price that potentially could offset that drawback for things like the bottle openers you mention.  These days I don't make much other than bottle openers so having a good point right on the anvil is also very important to me.  The other thing that is of concern to me is the position of the pritchel hole.  It appears to me to be very far down the flat bick. I have become accustomed to using a holdfast in the pritchel hole to my right, and having my work to the left of that.  I do a lot of small scale modeling of things like leaves and hops flowers and I like to clamp my work to the anvil face with the holdfast while I work with the punches and chisels.  The pritchel hole on the Rhino anvil seems like it is so far down that horn that there will not be enough material thinkness to get a hold fast to clamp well.  It is so far down there I am concerned a holdfast might actually break the end off the horn, if I ever was able to get it to clamp.  Do you have any input you could offer on this concern?  I'd really appreciate it.

(The Papa Rhino was the specific size I was considering)

​I made and use a hold fast in the current pritchel hole with no issues at all.  I'm currently upgrading my hold fast to a type that is actually a drill press clamp.  I have the clamp just need to get some 1" square and tap it for the threads on the clamp.  Its a lockable one.  I have a pic here let me see if I can find it and post it with this.  A good man who is on this site turned me on to the idea.  Dan, he lost his wife last Wed.  So if you could keep him in your prayers I would appreciate it. 

Drill Press Locking Clamp.jpg

​From what I understand the steel they get for the anvils is American steel. 

Well, I ended up not getting the Rhino.  I just couldn't get past the location of the pritchel and hardy holes and the lack of a point on the bick.   I am on a budget so I bought the TFS Smithy Special double horn in the 200 lb. size.  Like member SJS, I was actually pretty impressed with Incandescent's anvil tools as well as their swage block.  I may get some of those soon but 

I have an Incandescent Ironworks swage block, it is a nice casting and finished well. I have not used it much but have been happy with it the few times I have. This block has several interesting shapes which I have not seen on any other blocks. If you want to make eating utensils this is a good block as it has depressions for 2 different size for tines and 2 different size spoons. The spoon depressions are oval shaped for table spoons. It also has the standard ladle depression.

I have an Incandescent Ironworks swage block, it is a nice casting and finished well. I have not used it much but have been happy with it the few times I have. This block has several interesting shapes which I have not seen on any other blocks. If you want to make eating utensils this is a good block as it has depressions for 2 different size for tines and 2 different size spoons. The spoon depressions are oval shaped for table spoons. It also has the standard ladle depression.

​That's going to be my next purchase from them.  I've been wanting a swage block for a long time.  They are rare, rare, rare up here and even though I've found a grand total of two here in the state, I couldn't purchase them.

Hi Frosty and Jeremy,  I wish I could.  I really want to.  I've been wanting to get down to Art on Fire for years now and just never seem to be able to get there.  Same for the meetings.  Just the one I was able to make.  I really wanted to come down to the one that Brian Brazzel was at but it was the same weekend as the big state wide dog show here in Fairbanks.  Seems its always that way.  But, that's ok.  I will make it down when I can.  Hope sooner than later. 

Jeremy, that's one funny pic and it made me laugh.  I needed a good chuckle today.  Thank you.