I Forge Iron

Kmg Sweetness

Sam Salvati

My grinder shipped today, should be here within the next few business days! I am extremely pleased with the pleasant and lightning fast service of Rob Frink from Beamont metalworks, and i highly recommend them to anyone looking for quality fast service. I'll let yah know how the machine works:D.

Thanks guys, i am very excited! Ed, your write up was definately a BIG help in deciding to get or not to get the KMG, thank you very much. Bruce, Nice paintjob, i live in damp rural NY so i am gonna paint mine first thing. Steve, lucky there is good food and family to pull me away from the window:D. JM, i have a friend who might have a bunch of belts only 10 minutes away:D. Jimmy, i sure will give a full reveiw!

You'll appreciate it a lot Sam. You're probably on it, but mount it on some thing rock solid and have separate tooling arms for the platen and wheel. Big advantage to swap attachments in seconds instead of wrenching bolts on and off.

Thought I'd add, if you're really liking the new KMG, there shouldn't be much time for a quick review on the machine. Maybe a quick comment when you come up for more belts.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, Craig

I'll probably go black with some red pinstriped Bruce:D. Cdent, I would have gotten the second arm if I could have afforded it :D, but i will for sure when I can. Hopefully this machine will pay for itself quickly:D. I have a machinist friend though, maybe i can get him to make me a second arm for a trade. I can make myself a nice little tool tree:D. I will FOR SURE give a complete reveiw! Thanks for the suggestions Bill, i have been thinking on some good belts.

All you need to make a second arm is a length of 1 1/2" square cold rolled, a drill and a tap. After you've drilled and tapped to match the arm you already have, all you have to do is grind a radius on the end. That is it and you are good to go.

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

OOOOOOHHH YEEEEEAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

My KMG arrived today! I am SWOOONING. This is an amazing machine, i know understand when everyone says it is BUILT LIKE A TANK, extremely solid beyond compare. I am just overwhelmed almost by how solid it is. Thanks so much Rob, it arrived in perfect condition, packed extremely well and tight. It is GORGEOUS, I am in love. I cannot wait to get the motor all wired up and get it mounted to the table and stuff, I want to use it SO BAD! Thanks again Rob, MOST EXCELLENT WORK what an amazing machine! And thanks again Mitch, you will NOT be dissapointed!

4190.attach

4191.attach

• 1 month later...

OK got the motor all connected up, got it on a nice simple hinge setup to keep belt tension when working on all 3 of the step pullies, with only the one size pulley on the motor. Thanks to JR, i was able to figure out the RPM of the drive shaft on the grinder and SFPM (surface feet per minute).

With the 2"-2" the girnder runs at 3,750RPM with an SFPM of 3,926
2"-3" the grinder runs at 2,500RPM with an SFPM of 2,617
2"-4" the grinder runs at 1,875RPM with an SFPM of 1,963

I'll grab some pictures today of the motor mount.