I Forge Iron

Anyone in Australia Built a Hydraulic Forging Press?

Damastang

Pretty much as the title says. I am looking at building one but can't seem to find the same or even similar parts to the ones you guys use over in the US. And when I do find something here the price is an absolute joke. $900-$1300 for a basic 5hp motor...... and that's just the start. Don't even get me started on the price of hydraulics haha. Anyway, anyone done it?

Cheers

240 volt singe phase 5hp motor at 3600 rpm, 5" bore 8" stroke 3000psi double acting cylinder, a 2 stage gear pump, probably 11/3 gpm or bigger. That's the guts of it anyway. Nothing is locked in , i am still learning a lot about hydraulics so any advice here would be appreciated. Still trying to work out if it is even possible in Australia first before I go looking into it any further. It's been on the back burner for a few years and now that my welding is well and truly up to scratch and I am in a workshop with all the good gear It is something I want to do. The press will be used for damascus but I only like to build things once so would rather go overkill then wish I had more squishing power. 25-30 tonnes is the aim with fast ram travel.                              

• 2 weeks later...

I am really stuck with this. It seems you can't get a 3600 RPM motor on single phase power in AU. We have 240v AC 50hz, no idea why. 3 phase is out of the equation. How important is RPM? Could i use pulleys or a gearbox to increase the RPM of a slow 5hp motor? The ABS book doesn't go into much detail in that area, probably not a problem in the US as most motors seem to be 3600 RPM. Please if anyone knows anyone in AU who might be able to help me that would be greatly, greatly and greatly appreciated.

Ok, finally starting to make sense of this now. Australia has 50hz power and you can't have a single pole motor (duh lol). Therefore in theory the motor would rotate twice the frequency of the supply so 50 hz = 50 cycles per second = 100 revolutions per second = 6000RPM but add in another pole and its 3000RPM.

I can get a 4hp @ 2900RPM, 5hp @ 2900 RPM or a 7.hp @ 2900 RPM motor on single phase power, what are you thoughts? I am yet to run it through the hydraulic calculations to see what sort of flow rate i will get with certain size pumps.

Hey, at least once this is solved it will serve as a resource for anyone else building a press.

Yeah sounds like a plan. Does anyone know what formula to use to work out actual GPM based the rated flow of the pump and the motor speed and ultimately what my ram speed will be with any given pump turned at 2900 RPM? Also what's the maximum pressure I should be aiming for? Some people go 3000 PSI others go with 2500 PSI? keeping in mind that relief valve will be set a little lower than these pressures for safety reasons.

This is what i have worked out.

If i buy a 16gpm pump (12.88 GPM @ 2900 RPM) which will require 4.65 hp so a 5 hp motor to make 24.5 tonnes with a 5" bore cylinder and a ram speed of 2.52 inches per second.
If i buy a 22gpm Pump (17.79 GPM @ 2900 RPM) which will require 6.42 hp so a 7 hp motor to make 24.5 tonnes with a 5" bore cylinder and a ram speed of 3.48 inches per second.

Is 2.52 inches per second going to be fast enough or will i need 3.48?

When I was doing my research on a press I wanted to build, I had the local hydraulics company work up the system. Using a 6" bore 3" rod cylinder, they were saying I needed a little over 5hp, 11gpm at fast advance, and 4gpm in press mode. Mind you, it was for 35 ton. I believe that gave me a speed of 1.5" per second.

• 1 year later...