I Forge Iron

Missing piece to my forge

IRon_FOrgerI22

The problem is i do not have a welder or anyting like that any other ideas. I thought this was good to use until i made my other forge then i could put this one at my historical society i work at its an old stone house and its open every dember for people to do arts and crafts and to look at the building and i was thinking of doing a demo for it to get more donations.

HOW thats what i am asking.

No you asked where to find one,

but since you don't have a welder then go to home depot or plumbing supply house and get a threaded flange, that is if your pipe has threads, if not then get one of those too, then you can thread it on your pipe and bolt it to your brake drum, you will likely have to drill holes to match but it gets you around not having a welder.

welder19

That forge is a few miles from me.

Are you going to the yesteryear demo?

If you can paypal the guy I could haul it up to va for you.
-Eric

I have a brake drum and a pipe for my hair dryer but i am missing the peice that connets the tube to the drum does anyone know where to find one. :mad:. Ha i also found this forge online for 50 bucks Coal Forge

Thanks and my brake drum arlready has predrilled holes and also where would i find a tuyre. I can't spell:p

well the tuyere you could buy as black piping from home depot also, in fact it's pre treaded so you could attach the flange and the pipes together so you could take them apart if you needed to store it. I'm usinf 1" piping with one t pipe and a cap to catch the ash and release it after it.

To quote whitebear- "be a blacksmith, make one". Good advice. I try to push myself to try new things all the time. At the level of experience I am at now, I feel rolling a pipe from sheet and forge welding the seem is beyond my capabilities. I have not tried that one yet.
To go back to the "be a blacksmith" part, this is where you are supposed to push yourself to try new things.
Any student of blacksmithing should be reading as much as possible, any book on blacksmithing you can get your hands on. Begin to amass a library of your own; Books, DVD's, etc. In all of your lifetime in blacksmithing your library should be continually expanded. And read. And read. (and shared)
Once you begin to understand how metal is moved, the basic principles of heat it and beat it, the fundamental 8 steps of forging which are-
Bending
Cutting
Drawing / Fullering
Upsetting
Punching
Riveting
Welding
Tempering
and the varied groups of tools which the smith selects for each specific series of intended tasks, you will begin to form approaches in your mind as to how you are going to make that thing you thought of.
You are the smith. Make it.
Making a pipe, as has been suggested is a fairly complicated task. It takes some aquired skill and a firm understanding of the tools required and how to use them effectively. I think this is something I can arrive at if I get my hands dirty trying and learning from trial and error. I can envision how a sheet is heated and formed around a mandrel or stake and seam welded. So I think I get the concept.
Here comes the "do it" part.
Now I must take myself to my forge, surround myself with the proper tools and execute the series of efforts to arrive at success, the intended results.
This isn't so hard when one is a beginner as I am, and the intended results are a simple drive hook.
Welding up a pipe of the correct diameter and length is a bit more advanced.
Doing things on your own as a beginner is your first learning experience but playing solitaire gets old and doesn't teach much. You need to surround yourself with blacksmiths. Literally.
Dodge put you on the right track, branch out, find some blacksmithts.
The way to do that is to go to [ABANA] The Artist Blacksmith's Association of North America, Inc. and click on "affiliates". Look for the contact information on a group of blacksmiths in your area. They are all over the country, all over the world for that matter, and attend a meeting.
Once you do you will feel you have finally "arrived" in your quest. Good luck. Dan:)

IRon- Just a note here- DON'T BUY THAT $50 FORGE! You can put together a forge for free.( sorry, didn't at first click on that link included in your post).
Look around here on IFI, there are options, you have a brain and ingenuity.
Scrounging is an artform among smiths, some may stumble and grasp at it and some may elevate this to levels of legend.
As Glenn has included in this post, lots of help is there, you should be able to find some smithing buddies in your area.
I did not know these links were here on IFI but then again, Glenn is always a step ahead of the crowd, ain't he? ;)Dan

Lets see my brake drum forge used (from the top down): small piece of expanded metal for the grate---a consumable you have to replace it, (or cast iron drain grate), floor flange, nipple, T, nipple, cap and then from the T out to the blower another length of pipe.

Didn't buy any of it new all fleamarket and scrounged from ilegal dumping sites.

All my forge parts i found rusting in the ground . ..or around the yard . ..

All the piping is thick gas pipes, with a cast iron tee. . .they are not threaded. . i just have an intricate sistem of steel wire and pipe collars holding them together. .all sealed with a clay and coal dust mixture.

The firepot if of firebrick and a limestone gypsum and fine sand mixture. .., the linings are made of firebrick and old ceramic tiles.

the tuyere . .well it;s made from a heavy thick steel pipe connector . .with a steel plate square with drilled holes welded on to it.

It;s all bodged up and I use a 2 dollar hair drier as a blower ( strong one too ..on the second setting it blows up the coal from my firepot . .altho it's pretty deep (12 inches deep))