I Forge Iron

what's this hammer?

ausfire

I found this old hammer lurking in the scrap. Cleaned it up, added a handle and ground the faces to a mirror polish. It weighs just under 2 lb.
However, I don't really know what it was used for. Perhaps it was forged from a ball pein by drawing out the pein and adding a flat striking surface. If it was, it was well done because there is no evidence of any weld.
If it's an original shape, what is the advantage of the long neck? I'm using it as a rounding hammer for light work. Seems to have good balance.
post-50874-0-24011600-1419586104_thumb.j

Sheet metal hammer most commonly used these days for auto body work. Basically just what Josh said. I have a bunch of similar if lighter body hammers I picked up years ago. Handy things if not blacksmithing hammers, 14 ga. is really pushing the ones I have.

Frosty The Lucky.

Merry Hasbeen,

It is a great candidate for a longer piece of fancy wood. A Cane, or Walkin' Shtic, or long handled obedience provider.

Neil

A CANE!!! Thank you, Neil :) You have just given me the answer. With all the damage to my body an ancient motorcycle accident has done, I frequently rely on the support of a cane. I have a neat branch of maple I cut years ago, that I have always wanted to make into a cane but have never come up with a handle idea I was happy with. An old hammer head I'm not using will be perfect solution!!

Thanks again,

Scott

Yea I have been thinking about turning an old hammer into a cane handle. 70 almost 71 sucks for the plans I had in later years!!  I have an old Heller 4ozs I bought back in the 60ties. The old race car mech I worked with showed me how to use it as a weapon holding onto the head. Never had to use it that way. But utilizing a cane I might try to incorporate a dead blow harbor freight hammer.       However I try real hard to never put myself or wife in harms way.