I Forge Iron

Another great lady can use a prayer

Frosty

I suppose the next thing you lot will be up to is joining the polar bear club....?  One amazing team!

Great to hear good news, thanks for the update, keep up the good work. 

I've done the polar bear club thing a couple times just not on purpose. Breaking through the ice and going for a dip isn't cold believe it or not, it's painful. You know what an ice cream headache is, yes? If not, take a big spoonful of ice cream pop it in your mouth and bite down on it. That pain is the uneven chilling of the bone in your head. A big gulp of hot coffee isn't a fix either though it helps an itty bit. Different parts of the bone are shrinking at different rates than the rest it's connected to so it feels literally like your skull is being torn apart.

If you go under taking a polar bear dip the ice cream headache involves your whole head, not just your palate. It's like having your head in a vise with someone shoving nails in the rest of your skull. It's literally blindingly painful and hurts till the temperature of the bone in your head equalizes.

The shock of 32f water on your body isn't a whole lot better though it isn't quite as torturous. I disrecommend sawing holes in frozen lakes and jumping in, vociferously. If you give it a try you WILL render your opinion vociferously, I promise.

Frosty The Lucky.

Just your turn, I image she had a great time wile you lounged around after murdering that poor defenseless tree

So true Charles, I still feel pangs of guilt over that poor innocent vegetable. Worse, I had a perfectly good method of harvesting trees, a Cat 315 excavator with thumb. Push them over, shake the dirt off the roots and stack the trunks, fast easy and safe. Should've gone with what I knew huh.

Nothing I do for Deb can match what she went through with me.

Frosty The Lucky.

Jerry, any woman that will put up with the likes of you and I is a good woman by any ones account.

I'm under no illusions on that count Charles. I was fussy and kept looking till I could find a woman who could carry on an intelligent conversation AND put up with me. I got married the first and only time when I was 45.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, I take it you mean the 315 with wheels? I think the tracks 'mar' the surface of the lawn :)

I'm pretty sure I know the difference between a track and wheel excavator. . . From the outside anyway. About your point Ian, NAW, this is Alaska we don't have no sissy lawns here.

Frosty The Lucky.

The rest of the cuntry call them trees, allaskins call it grass ;-)
You did well in your search, I imagine she has done well herself.
I hope i have done so well, but I got two wonderful daughters (step) and a granddaughter from the first, so I'm not disipointed. Tho Now I can appreciate the new woman in my life. Fool woman teared up on me when i fixed he breakfast, handed her her lunch and gave her a kiss this morning. Been doing it for a month and a half now, lol
Find a good woman, treat her like a Queen. If she doest treat you like a King, you didnt pick a good one, leason learned.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again gang, Deb's doing well, improving every day. Heck, we drove into Anchorage for a follow up today and on the way back she wanted to stop and do some shopping. VBG! She's even getting around enough she isn't so stiff and sore from laying around all day. I tried coaching her on proper lay around all day techniques but she wouldn't listen, no way. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

So true LawnJockey I was hoping she'd listen to experience and natural talent, I've been doing my best to set good examples. I think the pain killers have made her unreceptive and grumpy though. No worries, she's earned all the slack I can give her and I mastered slacking as a youngster.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, have you got her on the 'natural' herbs as pain killers yet? Ken Mermelstein (Stumptown forge) swears by them. I'm obviously referring to the medical type ie the one that doesn't have the 'drug' component, not what you get here or in Amsterdam! And you have just got to convince her that you know what you're on about when it comes to "resting"

Good luck to you all and keep the faith!

I think her pain is mostly down to discomfort at being really limited in how much she can move or do. The surgery pain is almost down to Advil level, it's having to sleep on her back and such that is causing still muscles. However, there are a few herbals that are good for that sort of thing. I'll see if she wants to give some a try.

Good suggestion Ian though I think she's about as rested as she can stand. Filling her up on Christmas dinner has her relaxing right now but I don't know if feasting all day every day is a good solution. <wink>

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for being late updating you on how Deb's doing. We just got back from today's followup and Doc says she's doing pretty well in spite of pulling a couple stitches. She was cleared for light duty part time at work last visit and she's only really tired, stiff and sore when I get her home. All to be expected, and Doc was pleased. Getting back to work has really lifted her spirits.

Maybe she'll get cleared to unwrap some bandage layers next checkup. Maybe even cleared to get back to dog agility and nose work classes.

Frosty The Lucky.