I Forge Iron

Modified anvil, any idea why?

Possibly to accept tooling for heavier work then you could do over the heel? As for the holes on the cutting block, i've heard that they were sonetimes used for riveting in standardized work...can't say for sure though. Mostly i just want to hear what others with more experience have to say.

No response from the seller re modified usage.  My guess is basically what Ivan suggested above, but would love to hear other guesses.  Anyone else see an odd line in the underside profile of the heel?

Please note that the title of this post while slightly more accurate than the one I originally wrote was not in fact written by me.  I don't mind correction but attribution would be polite.  

The original title was Modified anvil.  

That could mean many things, in my opinion, and not descriptive enough. 

Modified anvil, any idea why?  is much more descriptive and encourages the viewer to open the thread and read about the modification, then suggest a reason as to why it may have been modified.

Small descriptive changes make the titles easier to remember or search. Six months or a year from now the altered title will still encourage visitors to open and read the thread.  

After you pointed that out i tool a closer look and it actually looks like 3/4 of the face is missing.... Also if there is a slight recess under the heel/hardy hole, it xan be a sign of wedge designed hardy tools being used in the past. Jim Coke told me about those and you may be able to find pics on gallery.