I Forge Iron

Anchoring an anvil

Greetings Clint,

I have mounted many many anvils but never with RR spikes...  You may consider tracing the anvil footprint and than router out the pattern so that the anvil sets down in the hole about 1/2 inch ....  I think that would help with the side to side movement and make your spikes stay put longer...  Just an ol boys 2c.

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I have seen pike heads cut off, drilled and taped from the bottom and used with long bolts. My "truck" anvil uses to heads welded to a piece of angle and screwed to the stand, with a third with a third forged and drilled for a lag to clamp it to the stand.
But my shop anvil uses two pieces of chain and 4 lags.

Oak will split worse than that fir. Heck, oak splits apart all on its own with-out driving steel into it. A couple of steel bands, drawn-up tight with a bolt, will hold the stump together.

You'd want Elm. Try locating elm 18" across. Pretty tough unless you are lucky. Cherry works well too. Kinda stringy, like elm, but not quite as much.