I Forge Iron

Help!!!!!

:(I have a problem i live in a pretty urban town my back yard is a good size but i have a problem my mom said she not gonna let me do blacksmithing because she thinks the neighbors will complain and call the cops because of a fire hazard my forge is pretty close to my neighbors plastic fence but not that close. Heres the layout if you are looking at it the fence is straight ahead and the forge is on the right side its about 7-10 feet away from the fence. My parents also think that it is to dangeourous. Anyone have any tips on how to persuade my parents to let me do blacksmtithing i am really having a hard time and i LOVE blacksmithing way to much to give it up.:(:(:(

Remember safety and personal protection at all times. Don't give her a chance to remind you.

Have Momma take you to a hammer-in where there are several blacksmiths playing in fire. She can see for her own self what is going on, and watch as you learn from others. You have her support, but you must earn her trust.

hammer kid as long as it burns to the heat required to forge railroad tracks atleast im fine with it
Another question I really have no idea what i am looking for glen when it comes to a blacksmith shop that can teach me i have no i dea in my area where to look so if some one could please find an event for blacksmithin near nj and or ny that would be nice.

Peters Valley Craft Center: Craft Education, Store & Gallery - Layton, NJ 973-948-5200 offers blacksmithing classes in northern NJ

Coal is NOT neighbor friendly.

We used to buy our charcoal at a roofing supply place as it was still used by traditional roofers for heating soldering coppers.

Aslo restaurant supply places would sometimes carry charcoal for use by BBQ restaurants.

If your neighbors BBQ, they can only complain about the noise, unless there are specific laws in your area against certain fire types and you are using something other than propane or charcoal. That's the one thing that gets me, blacksmithing is more of a fire hazard, using the same fuels as BBQing...

After reading another thread, I think I see why.

I originally rested my forge on a piece of wood. I learned somthing that day when i lite a fire that not to every rest my forge on wood it. Once i set the fire it lite the peice of wood on fire......!!!!!:o:rolleyes:

The noise of the hammer forging iron. The tippy tappy of hammer on anvil will drive some folk up the wall. Instead of coal or charcoal I will recommend propane. An atmospheric burner makes some noise but it is clean burning and propane is a lot easier to find. If you go to Zoeller Forge you will find plenty of information on making simple burners and forges. Good luck with your mom.:D