I Forge Iron

Interesting unnamed spring hammer...

• 2 weeks later...

I am sourcing a motor for this hammer. my experience would normally be to over speck the motor as I have found that hammers run better that way. I am very dubious of p the 3/4hp rating  from the ad in this thread .

I have run 60lb goliath with a 1hp motor but its better 3hp motor a and they run much better with 5hp..... no lag in the motor on pick up.

however I am mounting the motor way up high and the less the weight the better.

So 90lb spring hammer running at 300bpm will probably require about double (1.87) the power of a 60lb hammer at 240bpm ( if the relationships for speed increase are linear,  which Im not sure they are.).

I recon that a 4 or 5 hp motor should do it .   7.5 would run an air hammer of a similar size so it should be about rite.

I can get a 4kw 1400 rpm motor on ebay old stock unused for £50 so I will give that a go with a small pulley.....weighs around 30kg...not to ridiculous.

Basher,

Don't forget these weren't originally direct driven, so the 3/4HP rating is the loading demand being added to a spinning lineshaft with 100s of ft-lbs of flywheel inertia.  This is why you have to up the HP so much to get the impact needed unless you insert some rotating mass between the motor and clutch.

Rich C.

• 2 months later...

Well I have this hammer up and running, seems to work fine on a 3hp motor at 300rpm at the hammer fly wheel and is incredibly well counter weighted .  I have been running it slow to lap all the slide ways in .I will paint it now and re assemble, I think it will be a good hammer.

• 6 months later...

Well its in and running. Paint is RED not PINK!

19976962779_d7f1f80ffd_z.jpg

Here is the broken out slide side

19540962734_4fdde62537_z.jpg

and our fix , forged and welded up mild steel corset , I added 40mm extra to the bottom of the die sides to take lateral force from off centre forging, we added a lot of metal I think its enough. no welding to the original casting.

20137346556_804b78bf2d_z.jpg

20163627555_1e084ea087_z.jpg

It all seems to slide well , i have not used it in anger yet...

BTW. Basher don't worry being color blind is quite common in men! :P Red?it's Pink Of course dear boy ,wouldn't dream of thinking other wise

Must have been the glare on the screen?

Edited by ianinsa

• 2 years later...