I Forge Iron

Need advice on a Canadian Giant hammer, I have pics!

I have been a reader for way too long and its time to do some posting. I'm sorry to join and right away post a question, but I'm going to be that guy so here it goes.

I have coveted a power hammer for a long time, and now I have run across a hammer that I may be able to grab. The problem is I don't know what i should pay for it. I know there are lots of post on this already, but they all give a rather large range of prices depending on the specific hammer. I was hoping that with some pictures someone on here may be able to nail down what I should pay for this hammer.

According the the seller it is in "great overall condition 8/10 it work the same as the day it came out of the factory no cracks,weld, major rust i freshly took it apart and cleaned it, greased the parts and adjusted the hammer."

The hammer is a 25# Canadian Giant, which apparently is the same as a Jardine (not sure if that is true). based on the pictures, and what little info I have given what do you think it is worth? 

Thank you in advance for your advice and help.

post-56979-0-24797300-1411251857_thumb.j

post-56979-0-01042700-1411251866_thumb.j

post-56979-0-80909200-1411251872_thumb.j

post-56979-0-24926100-1411251878_thumb.j

Good Morning,

If you post your area where you reside on the world, you may have a neighbour close enough to answer your questions. It is still possible to buy any part that you need for that hammer. Canadian Giant, Jardine and Little Giant, take the same parts.

It looks like it has stopped the earth (underneath it) from moving for a while.

It is a good little hammer, they run quite quick so the piece you are working maintains the heat for longer than if you are working by hand.

What is worth? Worth is the agreed upon price between two parties. Answer your own question, What is it worth to you? How much work is it going to be to free it up?

How much work can you do yourself? Factor everything in and make an offer accordingly. Don't count how much for paint (lipstick). :) :)

Good Morning,

If you post your area where you reside on the world, you may have a neighbour close enough to answer your questions. It is still possible to buy any part that you need for that hammer. Canadian Giant, Jardine and Little Giant, take the same parts.

It looks like it has stopped the earth (underneath it) from moving for a while.

It is a good little hammer, they run quite quick so the piece you are working maintains the heat for longer than if you are working by hand.

What is worth? Worth is the agreed upon price between two parties. Answer your own question, What is it worth to you? How much work is it going to be to free it up?

How much work can you do yourself? Factor everything in and make an offer accordingly. Don't count how much for paint (lipstick). :) :)

Right you are. I suppose worth is in the eye of the buyer. Perhaps what I should have asked is, if I were selling this hammer what is a fair priced I could demand for it? What would be fair for the seller and fair for the buyer based on the current market?

In answer to your question, I believe that I have the tools and the skill required to do all the restoration myself, but it would be a bit of a learning experience as I have never restored a power hammer before.

Also, Thank you for letting me know that I can still get parts for this hammer. That was something that I was curious about and didn't know the answer to.

It's hard to tell from the picture for sure and I am not a Little giant guy but I think that may be a 50lb hammer not a 25.  It does look like it has been there a long time.  I suspect it will take a lot of work to get those dies out. 

I actually don't know for sure what the weight is, I was just going by the No 25 on the side and assuming that corresponded to the weight. You can just barely see it in the second picture.

I actually don't know for sure what the weight is, I was just going by the No 25 on the side and assuming that corresponded to the weight. You can just barely see it in the second picture.

<script type="text/javascript"> //

Told you I wasn't a Little Giant guy. :rolleyes:

Location has a lot to do with price. That one appears to have sat out in weather for years. Unbolt bearing journals to see if shaft is pitted. Mickey mouse ears are upside-down on pitman shaft. How worn are ARM bearings, probably needs new spring. What does a tire hammer cost from Clay Spencer.

Location has a lot to do with price. That one appears to have sat out in weather for years. Unbolt bearing journals to see if shaft is pitted. Mickey mouse ears are upside-down on pitman shaft. How worn are ARM bearings, probably needs new spring. What does a tire hammer cost from Clay Spencer.

Location as in where in the world, or location as in how far it is from me? I'm in Alberta, and it's about three hours from where I am.

The pitting of the shafts is a good call. It was actually something I was concerned about. What I don't know though is if that is a deal breaker. that again is one reason that I'm posting on here for some help from everyone here.

I think that I'll throw some numbers on the table to make this a little bit more simple. Do you think that around $1500, or around $1000 or around $500 is a fair price, or is it not even worth the gas and trouble to go pick it up.

Thanks again for all the help and posts so far. I really appreciate the advice.

There is lots of information including available parts about that style of hammer under www.littlegianthammer.com. Sid Suedmeier used to run that outfit, but he recently sold it. Still in business, though. I paid $900 for a 25 pound LG over 40 years ago. I poured new Babbitt and shimmed the wooden clutch a couple of times. It's still running and fairly often.

if you like tinkering on old machines; you'll be happy. It needs a complete overhaul, possibly $1000 worth of parts and chemicals to restore to working condition. Generally in the States, a hammer that size, in good running condition, can be bought for $2500. How mechanical are you and what is your time worth. Offer scrap price

if you like tinkering on old machines; you'll be happy. It needs a complete overhaul, possibly $1000 worth of parts and chemicals to restore to working condition. Generally in the States, a hammer that size, in good running condition, can be bought for $2500. How mechanical are you and what is your time worth. Offer scrap price

I just found out this morning that another hammer just like this one sold in auction here for $800 which seems like a good price to me. It had a motor and looked like it had at least been stored inside. I suppose that's a good starting point.

I do like tinkering on old machines. $1000 is more than I expected for parts though. What are you factoring in for that? I assumed I would have to replace the spring, the babbitt, and a few pins, but not $1000 worth of parts. I do have a metal lathe, so any of the brass bushings or oversize pins that are required I can easily turn out on the lathe in theory.

As much as I would like to get it for scrap price I'm not sure if the seller will go for that. Frank, you said that you picked yours up for $900. What condition was it in when you got it? I'm thinking that maybe $800 is a good price to offer. Do you think that is fair, or is it in too poor condition for $800?

start the offer at $500; you can always go up but it's tough to go down. Look very carefully for any cracks in the casting. one of the arms looks like a poor repair.also figure on replacing the clutch and repair/replacing the guides depending the abuse it's taken. the electric motor with low rpm or the jack shaft configuration to get the low rpm will be costly. consider installing a brake for more control; but that is an aftermarket option.

I think, if you buy this hammer and keep track of all your expenses, you'll go through $1000 or more, by the time your finished.

Rusted, stored outside, 3-hour drive, labor to move--aside from restoration costs--these items would factor in for me.  Try to make him set a price first and negotiate down based on the points everyone has mentioned.

See if you're even in the same ballpark pricewise before wasting too much thought on it.

Good luck.

Excellent info! This has really helped me. I'm going to give the guy a call tomorrow and see if we can reach an agreement.

I have one more question. If we do reach an agreement, pending inspection, what are some deal breakers I should be looking for when I inspect it. pitting on the main shaft was mentioned. is that a deal breaker? What are some other deal breakers assuming the agreed upon price is $500. 

Thanks again y'all.

Pitting on the Mainshaft is not a deal breaker. Spray weld the shaft and go back to original size or just machine another shaft.

There is no Rocket Science. These machines are made to take a Likin' and keep on Tickin'

If the Babbett is worn out, make the shaft a larger diameter or re-pour the Babbett.

The wheels on the Buss, go...................

Brian Robertson has the right idea, It is easy to up in price, It is hard to go down.

There will be rats in the attic, EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED. Expect that it will take at least a $1000.00, before you pour paint in it to make it look like a 'Dolly Dress-up'.

It looks a lot like the 50Lbs Jardine that we have. A real l nice upgrade is to put a brake around the working wheel. I made mine with leather belting. It makes a world of difference with the control.

There is the Western Canadian Blacksmith Guild in Alberta and Saskatchewan. There is a group in Edmonton, there was a group in Calgary, there is a group in Saskatoon. Alberta is quite a large piece of Real Estate, There must be someone close to you that you can ask. Doug Newell is in Cochrane, Mark Pearce and John Monteath are in Calgary, I can't remember the names of the fellows in Edmonton.

Neil

Well I contacted the guy yesterday evening and it turns out that it sold at 4:00 that afternoon. My timing was terrible. I asked him what it sold for so that I know what the market is like around here. It sold for $1300. I guess the market is pretty how around here. Looks like I'm back on the hunt again.

Sometimes you have to do a pile of homework and mathmatics. Cost of a wreck + cost of repairs and upgrades + cost of a ride to pick it up + unknown factors and consequences = real costs.

Then maybe you have to do your own machining to make new parts, Etc. Etc.   In the end, you still have an old Hammer.

Sometimes it makes the price of a new Air Hammer, very attractive. Jam an air hose to it or stretch a power cable, job done!!!!! :) :)

Neil

Sometimes you have to do a pile of homework and mathmatics. Cost of a wreck + cost of repairs and upgrades + cost of a ride to pick it up + unknown factors and consequences = real costs.

Then maybe you have to do your own machining to make new parts, Etc. Etc.   In the end, you still have an old Hammer.

Sometimes it makes the price of a new Air Hammer, very attractive. Jam an air hose to it or stretch a power cable, job done!!!!! :) :)

Neil

Guy said it had been taken apart and cleaned, worked like new, I call BS. Better off it sold before you got there. Keep looking and don't let the "story" sell you.

I didn't buy that either. I believe that it worked, but even if it had low mileage the corrosion on there looked substantial enough that there was work to be done. The spring in particular worried me. I imagine Those corrosion pits could serve as excellent stress raisers. In other words failure is imminent. 

Neil

You are right, but for some reason I love the look of the old machines. I want a power hammer, but if it also looks awesome like the old hammers do then it's double the awesome.