I Forge Iron

Bolt on horn

Browsing through ebay for anvils and found this unusual one (images linked due to size)

post-1-0-73789500-1410554593_thumb.jpg  post-1-0-01707100-1410554610_thumb.jpg

Ebay links removed

All going well I plan to go check it out in person since other than the lack of horn it appears in pretty good shape but does anyone know what the criteria of a good horn are? The long round section means I get the feeling the maker didn't really know how a horn was shaped.

Or that was the shape that worked better for them than a standard one.

I like buying anvils that have missing parts as that often lowers the price a lot but may not impede usability for *me*. I have a Heelless Powell that's around 120# and cost me US$40 but has a flat, thick face on it for example.

To quote the timeless sages...."OMG, I can't even!"

That's wild, looks like the twin of my favorite anvil, a William Foster, 'cept on mine it's the tail busted, not the horn.  I have a soft spot in my heart for the broken ones. Oh yeah, plus they're cheap and still usually make great anvils.

I dunno, for horns I like them to be roundish for turning, rounding, and bending, plus thin enough in part to use in drawing. A taper's a big help so you can play with different size stock. Also so you can weld rounded bits together and still get underneath with your tongs.

This one's funny looking, but better than no horn, and heck, think of the bragging rights.....worst that happens is one day those bolts snap. I'd think you might want a little loctite on them. :P

That thought was niggling me too Thomas, looks like a tin knocker's stake. That brings to mind an interesting thought, a boy could make a selection of different "horns" for whatever they were doing. An imaginative blacksmith could call it "Batman's utility horn" or some such.

"Quick Robin, use the Hornarang!"

"Holy cold shut Batman you did IT the hard way!"

Frosty The Lucky.