I Forge Iron

My Smithy

He means the back, hammer like face, of the axe. It may chip dangerously as any hammer on hammer action might. If you remove the handle you can shine up then heat the pol of the axe head. Let the color run to purple blue and quench in water.

Take it easy on your vise, it isn't an anvil, it just looks kind of like one. They're cast iron and will not stand much hammering at all.

If you have a store of RR spikes you can make all kinds of useful stakes and use the track plate as a holder. You'll need to upset a shoulder so they stop on the plate. That's a good thing, every smith needs to learn why it's called "Upsetting," the sooner the better. ;)

All in all it looks like a decent set up to start.

Good for you Brother-M

Frosty

I don't understand the upsetting thing frosty, please explain. I only use the vise for the horn to bend with.

Upsetting is driving the iron back into itself to make it thicker and it's probably the hardest smithing process to do well. Hence upsetting is upsetting. (to the smith) :mad:

Frosty

I am currently making some tools for putting pipe under sidewalks. I am using 1" sucker rod and upsetting 6" to 1 1/8" on one end and 1 1/2" to 2" on the other. I have tried welding up what I want but by the time I grind it back and I find it is just as fast and far more gratifying to do the upsetting. I does try your patience though.

When upsetting keep the length of the upset area to about 3 times the thinnest place in the area. If you are upsetting 1x 3/16 material then the length to try to upset would be 3*3/16=9/16 about a half to 3/4s inch at a time. When it thickens up you would be able to take a larger bite. use water to isolate the area to be upset. strike heavy well placed blows. It requires a lot more finesse than drawing out does.

It is good to see you are hammering and moving forward. Keep it up.