I Forge Iron

Blacksmith or Farrier ????

I'm sure if we searched the historical record hard enough we could find at example of blacksmiths doing nearly anything imaginable.  Shops were businesses and would potentially do nearly anything  within their means to make money, including the full breadth of the trade they performed and perhaps some unlikely stuff as well.  This certainly was the case for isolated shops.

I think these claims that blacksmiths commonly did off the wall things come from researchers scouring surviving ledger books, finding one example of something different, and extrapolating that it was a common practice throughout time.

Will

If you search the historical records you will also find examples of someone doing a task that is allocated to a different guild and being fined or having their shop pulled down!

I'll have to look up that PA book; I have a copy of "To Forge Upset and Weld" from PA that includes some excerpts from blacksmiths' daybooks (ledgers) very interesting reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Thomas,

"not like the German Smith who would throw a hammer at you if you asked *him* to shoe a horse when he was a *Kunstschmied*!"

My master and his competitor in town (Rothenburg ot) insisted on "Kunstschlosser"  (locksmith-artist)

Cheers

Göte

They are also uncomfortable to sit on in the middle

Cheers

Göte

Similarly, I tell folk who ask if I shoe horses is that all I know about horses is that one end kicks and the other end bites.

<script type="text/javascript"> //

To add a little mud to pie here, I had two generations of the same family shoeing my horses for 40+ yrs. They to this day refer to them selves as HORSE SHOERS. When I asked back in the early 80s when the term Ferrier showed up in my circle if they were Farriers I was told in no uncertain terms he was not a Farrier, if he was he would charge 4 times as much and do a poorer job. There was other conversation pertaining to this that I will leave out this being a family site and all. The grandfather of this tribe was a carriage restorer & Livery Stable owner that I worked for when I was a kid and he did his own iron work for the repairs and he was a blacksmith no doubt about it.

There is a large horse Assoc. show grounds near me and for years there was an open sided pole shed that was used to shoe horses in and a sign hung there saying Blacksmith Shop. Some early day PC person aka New Manager took it down and replaced it with a new sign saying Farrier Shop, when the guys showed up for the next event and saw the sign they tore it down, threw it in the brook, packed up their trucks and went home. They told management they wouldn't be back until the old sign was put back up. It was within the hour. It took a lot longer for them to return. The young fellows who called themselves Farriers decided it was best ride with the flow if they wanted to get along with the old timers who most of them had apprenticed under and needed their recommendation to get a start.

Now after all this they do specialize in what horses they will do these days. Very few will do draft horses but they will do crossbreds who weigh up around 1400 lbs because they are Event Horses worth big $$$ and owned by folks with even more $$$ and they charge accordingly.

So Blacksmith, Farrier, Horseshoer I would say it's Their Choice. If you are a horse owner and have a good one you write the check and call them Sir or Madam as the case may be.

You may still find a few men in this country who are Registered Shoeing Smiths (RSS after their name). I think that means they were farriers before the 1975(-ish??) law requiring registration of farriers, so they didn't need to jump through so many hoops to practice.

Plater is also a term for a sheet metal worker in this country. Further identification is need before they are employed, otherwise strange and misshapen ducting/very thin horseshoes may result.

As the proprietor of a traditional forge, to this day I still offer dentistry, haircuts, circumcisions, marriages, baptisms, legal council and medicinal bloodletting. You get what you pay for. 

One more comment if I might, When I was home for a few days this week I had breakfast with three fellows who professionally shoe horses in our area. I brought up this discussion. One was the Horse Shoer I mentioned above both the others call themselves Farriers. when I asked they said they both graduated from Farrier School. One of theses Farriers said his father at 68 was still shoeing Draft Horses and still called himself a Blacksmith and he had an uncle who was older and still was shoeing some local hYou areorses esp. kid's mounts with limited means and he referred to himself as a Shoe Salesman!!

I guess as I've said before You are What You Say You are a Blacksmith, Farrier, Horse Shoer, or Shoe Saleman. Millions of Horses around the world that need their feet cared for, does it make any difference what the people are called who do this as long as they are good at what they do?