I Forge Iron

108 lb Hay Budden

Great anvil, H-B's.  One thing you can do...check the rebound with a steel ball bearing if you can, or, gentle drop with a ball pein hammer, handle pinched between thumb and finger (latter with the owner's permission, of course).

$3 per pound might be considered a bit high by some, but if it's in mint condition may be worth it.  A 108 would be okay for lighter work, but not real heavy forging.  I paid $2.25/lb. for a 170# H-B in very good condition.

Pictures of the anvil in question would help. Also where you are located and what type of things you plan on making on the anvil. If you are in New England or Ohio or other "anvil rich" areas, you may be able to find others for less. If you are in an area where anvils are scarce, jump all over it, but again, pictures would help.

Well for what you described as what you want to do, I would think 108 LBS would be a good size unless you plan on doing pattern welded billets someday where you may want some more beef under the hammer. Search this site for TPAAT and use it. Check craigslist as often as possible (the good anvils for good price tend to disappear within hours and sometimes minutes of being posted for sale). Without pictures I couldn't give a yes/no answer as to what I would do, but as to the brand, Hay-Budden is an excellent brand and is my 2nd favorite anvil I have worked on next to my Columbian. All things aside and assuming the condition is as good as you say, $3 a pound is pretty standard around my area with the occasional $2 or less a pound. Many folks will also mention to you that for blade smithing, a perfectly suitable anvil is a heavy hunk of steel. Search for scrapyard anvils or read through the blade smithing section and I'm sure you will find examples.

Edit: Pics posted while I was typing. It looks pretty good to me. That paint is ugly IMO though and can serve to hide defects sometimes. Might help in getting the price down a little bit.

Greetings Mike,

Judging by the paint the anvil was used for a lawn ornament ...  I looks to me like the face has some deep pits from sitting out.. Look careful that could be a problem.  Good luck

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

You have a bit over a month before the largest annual blacksmiths conference in the world is held just up the road from you; buy your anvil there!  Shoot we had a local fellow from NM buy 30 anvils the first Quad-State he went to...and a trailer to get them home.  Did you ask at SOFA meetings?

That size anvil is very popular, since it is light enough to move yet stout enough for some reasonably sized work. 

Hay-Budden is a great brand, also my second fave, after Fisher, but a HB is my main forging anvil.

The face is not as mint as you think, the edges have some big chips, yet they are well within the realm of being ground off and rounded over to prevent further chipping. 

It doesn't seem to have much if any sway, an indication of overall condition. 

I'd say considering it's small size and better than fair condition, it is a decent price, but as Thomas points out, you should likely wait until the anvil supermarket opens next month. 

• 1 month later...