I Forge Iron

tv wager

A local kid (16) who plays in the SCA has been trying to get someone to teach him some basic blacksmithing.

After talking to him I realized he watches too dang much TV and he could be doing better in school.

I told him one month... 30 days of no TV, no internet movies that were not blacksmithing related, no listening to TV... NOTHING and I would provide him with a railroad rail anvil, a hammer, a set of tongs, and a basic forge of his choice of fuel.

He is 28 days in and called me to claim his bet.
I had to tell him a month is 30 days and he can claim it on Saturday morning.

His grades have improved and he is understanding chemistry.

HAH! Iforgeiron and the forums were first on the recommended reading list!

I don't know his login but he will be reading this sometime tonight.

He had read almost every blueprint and was asking to use a bottom fuller the first time we got together to hammer one week after the bet started.

solvarr, you have touched the future! Nothing excites me more than to be able to 'light up' a kid about blacksmithing. Wife and I kept a 10yr old for a month while his mother went to school during the day and worked until 11:30pm. Got him out to the shop and we made a drive hook, I would show him how on one piece of metal and he would do the same on his piece. He was so proud to give it to his mother for a "graduation" gift. He couldn't wait until I got home from work each evening to go out to the shop. I would hand him the keys to the lock and he would run ahead and have the door open with the lights on when I got there. We got a little of the 'whinny, baby, momma's boy' anticks worked out of him but there is still some work to be done. His dad left him and his mom for another lady and her kids. NO contact with his own son and absolutely no $$ support. I would like to string the guy up....sorry, got carried away there....

ANYWHO, Great job! show us some pictures of what the 2 of you make.

He was going to come to the hammer in but he had a martial arts tournament he had already signed up for. It was killing him.

We had a great time doing the demo. Marion and I and possibly Drogo and Oonagh are looking forward to seeing all of you again in November. We are trying to see if we can get a few more people from down here to make the trip.

-Eric

He was going to come to the hammer in but he had a martial arts tournament he had already signed up for. It was killing him.

We had a great time doing the demo. Marion and I and possibly Drogo and Oonagh are looking forward to seeing all of you again in November. We are trying to see if we can get a few more people from down here to make the trip.

-Eric

HEY!!! :o I know you! At least I know Drogo and Oonagh! My wife is Sandy, Drogo and Oonagh's friend from Markland!

I'll point her to this tonight!

After all this he calls me up to claim the bet.
The bet was over to be over Saturday morning as we had confirmed on Wednesday.
He called me to claim his prize tonight after watching a show.
I told him he just lost.
He started banging his head on the wall.......

That being said I am still giving him the setup because he is a good kid and really misremembered the time.

The lesson learned: Write down the terms of the bet when negotiated!

I thank you solvarr for being lenient with my huge mistake. We were talking about fuel for the forge and I was leaning towards gas. I was thinking gas because I can make a simple solid fuel forge by myself with relative ease and with a low cost but I am not so confident about making my own gas forge. I would rather make a gas forge with someone that has experience with gas forges (ei yourself). This is impart due to the fact that my parents would worry if I made my own gas forge, they would worry about me making it wrong and blowing up the house or myself. to quelsh their fears I think it would be best that you and I make a gas forge. Thank you very very much agin for you leniency.

No prob bud.
Good thing I grabbed the extra reducer bells for the forge burners.
I want us to make this together so you can reproduce and tweak it later.
We can start on the burner this Sunday if you like.

Ltr bud.
-Solvarr

I thank you solvarr for being lenient with my huge mistake. We were talking about fuel for the forge and I was leaning towards gas. I was thinking gas because I can make a simple solid fuel forge by myself with relative ease and with a low cost but I am not so confident about making my own gas forge. I would rather make a gas forge with someone that has experience with gas forges (ei yourself). This is impart due to the fact that my parents would worry if I made my own gas forge, they would worry about me making it wrong and blowing up the house or myself. to quelsh their fears I think it would be best that you and I make a gas forge. Thank you very very much agin for you leniency.