I Forge Iron

Happiness Is...

Happiness is...when it's 96 degrees out, your forge is going in your shop, you're covered in sweat and charcoal dust, and your wife brings you a giant, ice cold class of iced tea! You rock hon!! Share your happiness is thoughts. Happy summer!!!!

Happiness for me is when I pick up a piece of metal with no purpose intended for it, close my eyes and ask it/myself "what else could you be" and I get random inspiration out of nowhere for what to make from it..and it turns out exactly what I had pictured in my mind with no serious planning/measuring or layout. Just being in tune with "what the metal wants to do" (as I call it). Some of my favorite projects have come from this random, no plan type of forging and it makes me happier then anything else to see my inspiration take shape. Also, no interruptions and a solid 8-12 hours at the forge is always nice :)

-Crazy Ivan

It's been in the 70's the last two days I had at the forge, brutal, simply brutal! Last weekend one of the guys at the church brought out his grandson and we had a good day, he was making better nails than I do by his 3rd try. I guess I should practice nail making eh?

A week before we had a clinic in Talkeetna with Goesta Gablick as clinician. He made a frame and we made doo dads to fill it.

Lets see, the week before I had another young man out for his first session though I did it in a twistier way. We have a local annual event in late June called Art on Fire and instead of bringing my shop forge out I thought I'd just put together a brick pile and use basic tool. I was thinking that'd be a lot less intimidating, the farriers usually use their gas forges and if asked the $300. - $400. each pricetag is a bit much, then looking at my home built monster and they logically think it's got to cost a couple grand. Well, if I made them one it might.

Anyway, the brick pile forge and giving a first lesson at the demo worked better than I thought it would. The forge got a LOT of interest, most anyone can afford a dozen fire bricks and some plumbing parts. I had an old ruck axle sitting there so show a potential anvil, forgot RR rail but folk asked about rail. It was a very good day even though it started out raining.

Let's see, those are my most recent excellent days at the anvil. Now if it weren't so darned HOT! I turn the car air conditioner on if it's over 55 out.

Frosty The Lucky.

Friday I got to fire up the coal forge after a long smokeless propane time and was working on nailing down the proceedure for turning 1' NONGALVANIZED nails into cubicle hooks.  About the time I thought I had a good way worked out work called and I had to go into town and borrow some wifi and deal with their issues (For some reason the Factory in Mexico didn't celebrate the 4th of July...)

Saturday the scrapyard was open and I spent close to 2 hours rummaging and having a great time till it got too hot and they wanted to shut down,  Didn't get much this trip, 31 pounds about 10# of which was wrought iron---including a cute little hub band.

Too hot to forge when I got home until in late afternoon a storm blew up and got hooked on the mountain range to the WEST.  We didn't get any rain but the coolth and clouded over sky to the west was enough to let me forge again.  Found out that yup my process was simple and worked well:  putting a soapstone line on the anvil to make how much of the nail shaft gets flattened (8" of flat) and thinned out then re heating the flattened area and walking over to the 6" vise holding some 2" sq tubing horizontally with a bit sticking past the jaws.  Stick the end even with the bottom of the tube on the backside and clamp it with the visegrips and then pull on the end and bend it over the top of the tool dressing it with a light hammer as you go and down the near side.

Take it over to the other 6" postvise and deal with any alignment issues and then back in the fire with the head end in this time.  When it's hot go over to the  swage and use a straight peen to start making the head of the nail into the coat hook part and then back to the vise to finish it off and dress any alignment issues.  Had three in the fire at the same time and they we popping out like clockwork.  Not as fancy as the dragon headed cubicle hooks; but lots cheaper

Please note that cubicle walls come in different thicknesses so the 2" sq tubing may very well be the wrong size for someone else's cube.

Since I had the forge already hot and nicely coked up I also did the forge welds on a barb wire basket hook

Happiness is when you're commissioned to make a nice piece for someone and when they come to collect it, they pay you more than you quoted, "Because it's just what I wanted'. Today was good.

Oh I so agree!! My forge is outside in the open and I live in south florida near the everglades and nothing puts a smile on my face like being drenched in sweat and getting some work done and the wife bringing me (and my striker if Im lucky or wealthy enough to have one) some sweet tea!!