I Forge Iron

Combo fire steel/ember tongs, 18th c.

Here's a combination tool, a flint striker and ember tongs, aka pipe tongs or smoker's companion used to pick up an ember from the fire to light your pipe.  This one is forged from a single piece of steel, from a coil spring I've been using for smaller or narrower fire steels.  It is based on an 18th century original pictured in Decorative Antique Ironwork, though not a direct copy.  The original had some fine file work on the upper handle and the jaws, but I left it mostly plain. 

It's a bit longer and taller than the original, and the jaws are shorter, so the next one I'll work on getting those dimensions closer.  I made the thumb pad flat and wide, next time it'll be round.  I filed the whole surface, though not to a fine polish, and wire brushed at the end.  The biggest challenge was shaping and bending the upper jaw after the lower jaw had been bent around and the stock pushed through the hole, but it worked out fine.

post-417-0-12733800-1403646084_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-27969100-1403646093_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-47906700-1403646104_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-83271800-1403646111_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-45972700-1403646120_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-91491800-1403646126_thumb.jpg

ROFL. I was thinking tweezers and then of course the belt buckle thread tweezers and striker all in one. I was not thinking jewelry specifically nose clamps. Wonder how long before a new fad starts?

I like it Nick. The posts you post and their subject matter seem to always be of interest to me. Thank you for posting them. Another thing to add to my list of things to do. Along with another book to get.

Rashelle

Nick, does the bottom part of the clip thread through a hole to match the top, or id the a C shape I can't see.
I seriously have no idea how you could possibly thread the round stock through a hole and then forge it flat to match the top so exactly.
That's excellent.

I like it Nick. The posts you post and their subject matter seem to always be of interest to me. Thank you for posting them. Another thing to add to my list of things to do. Along with another book to get.

Thanks :)  It's a great book, and can be got pretty cheap used.  There are dozens of projects that have been added to my list since I got it. 

Nick, does the bottom part of the clip thread through a hole to match the top, or id the a C shape I can't see.
I seriously have no idea how you could possibly thread the round stock through a hole and then forge it flat to match the top so exactly.
That's excellent.

Jim, it is threaded through a hole.  The hole is drifted to be a little bigger than the round stock, otherwise it'll bind up in use.  The lower jaw is folded over and pushed down to the bottom of the round stock, and the upper jaw is flattened and widened with a small cross peen, then cleaned up and bent.  Then the upper arm/lower jaw can be raised back up and into shape.  The two are forged close to the same size, but then filed for an exact match.

I like the cunning way you can clip it to your nose and then strike sparks into the charred dottle in your pipe in your mouth!

Thank you for volunteering to be the first test subject ;) 

Tis indeed a great pity I don't smoke a pipe or I'd be happy to prove it in for you...in fact I smoke only pursuant to bursting into flame---well at least my clothing when doing metal working  (however I've caught my clothing on fire 4 times with a cutting torch for every time I'd done it forge welding or dropping a piece of hot steel on myself... rows of flux splatter holes don't count)

Another something really cool Nick. Yeah, it's another goody on my to try list, fortunately it's something you've posted I may be able to do. <grin>

Thanks for another taste of eye candy, Nick.

Frosty The Lucky.