I Forge Iron

Belt Grinders?

Hi Everyone,

Recently i have started to have a craving for making blades. So after this market store, (when I hopefully make some dollars), i will start investing in a normal, 2x72 inch belt grinder as my Ryobi Bench grinder and angle grinder don't give that extra sharpness and tone to my knives. The problem is, (as a few have discovered), belt sanders are reasonably expensive, and quality ones are quite hard to find in my part of town. So, would anyone know where to find a company manufacturing them in Australia, or would it just be cheaper to import them from overseas?

Thanks.

Look at my web-site on the Grinders and Kits page.  I have a DVD that you can watch the assembly of one and print out pictures of all of the parts with all dimensions and a complete cut list.  You can get all of the parts locally, except for maybe the VFD.

Let me know if I can help you. 

http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=3

As a new owner of one, I would suggest this. Its cheaper than a Bader, and does what a Bader will do. Even their cheapest model is still built the same as their most expensive model. Difference is the size of motor, and speed controls.

After owning one for a month, I tried my old 4x36. The 4x36 felt like a flimsy kids toy now.

Well everyone, I have talked to a guy down in Tasmania, and he told me he uses a belt grinder attachment that runs just like a grinding wheel, except a belt. He creates amazing Damascus blades with this as well, and the price is only $290. (aus dollars). Here it is if ya wanna have a look.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Multitool-Bench-Grinder-Belt-Disk-Linishing-Attachment-/261513447318?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3ce36a8796&_uhb=1

I have and use one of those belt attachments..it is not suited at all for  making blades..first the contact wheel needs to be larger..second you need more power..third it runs at too fast a belt speed. And lastly 2" x 72" is the most popular size for knife making for a reason..Most suppliers of belts have a large nuimber of types of belts in many forms and grit sizes..those small length belts wear out faster and you will be limited in what type and quality of belts you have....Read close anything Wayne Coe suggest.

Look at my web-site on the Grinders and Kits page.  I have a DVD that you can watch the assembly of one and print out pictures of all of the parts with all dimensions and a complete cut list.  You can get all of the parts locally, except for maybe the VFD.

Let me know if I can help you. 

I visited your site and found no DVD I could view as suggested. Only an ad to buy a DVD :(

Dodge The DVD is not there for you to view, although I do think I give enough information to know what you are paying for.

Now that I read my post again I see where you might have thought that I was saying that you could watch the DVD on line.  If you have the DVD you can watch me assemble one of my "Moe's Grinders".

You could go to http://waynecoeartistblacksmith.com/Grinders.html and watch a couple of videos I have there.  One of the people who purchased a motor, VFD and wiring kit did watch the video and then built his grinder from what he saw there.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to make mine out of aluminum extrusion,seen one made that way on ebay.  I have all the material just waiting to order the wheel kit off ebay. and the large contact wheel from Grizzly.  Going to use a treadmill motor for variable power. Hope to build it for under $300.00

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Aluminum-Rubber-Wheel-For-G1015/G9242

I used the controller that was on the treadmill it was small enough to get into the black box. Except for the transformer.  Have a RPM chart on the front dial so I can gauge speed.   Looking for a MC-60 controller for my grinder project. I have a 2 hp Blador DC motor from a high end hospital treadmill.  Have a list I found on the internet with all the modals of treadmills that have the MC-60 controller. Will try to fine the link and post. 

Here is a good example of a MC-60 for a lathe.

http://lumberjocks.com/MMuntz/blog/26340

Are you having to turn your speed control all the way down to get the treadmill motor to start again, and then adjust it back up to speed?

If so, I came up with my own solution for that earlier today. It is a simple momentary switch added into the speed control pot wiring. I drew up a basic diagram of how to wire it in. It shows as connected to my MC60 controller, but would work just as well with any of the controllers that use a potentiometer (the HWL connections).

post-28530-0-13823900-1405308655_thumb.p