I Forge Iron

Magnetism and Anvils

Is it strongly magnetized enough to matter, won't it turn loose of your hammer or worse?  It'll demagnetize on it's own eventually, faster if you (don't laugh) aim it's magnetic North, South or 90*.

I have a lot of magnetized tools and it's usually no issue. When it is I coil the extension cord around it and turn something on or toss it on the floor for a day to so.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well it won't take the hammer from my hand but i definitely feel the pull.. the magnetism is tge strongest just forward of the hardie hole..the guass meter will max out both ways neg and positive going from side to side.. 

From one face edge across the face to the other I mean.

6 hours ago, Jet Man said:

Well I fully intend to put it thru it's paces for the next few days.. hopefully it will release the magnetism.. it's a beautiful anvil..242 pound papa rhino.

Over on bladesmithsforum.com jerrod miller is the metalergist for the foundry that makes these anvils. I will shoot him a message to see what he says about them being magnitised.

A mill shouldn't induce magnetism; unless they are using a strong magnetic chuck.

Hammering on it helps disrupt the magnetic domains; especially if you shift it around a bit.  Magnetism induced by the earths field as the steel/iron goes through the curie point is usually fairly weak; but was the basis of one of the great discoveries in geology continental drift.  Igneous rock created from magma at spreading centers gets the magnetic field present when it cools past the Curie Point and gradually gets pushed away as more is created.  Given that the earth's magnetic field flips from time to time they were able to see "stripes" in the magnetic field force over the ocean floor. (IIRC it was hunting for subs with magnetometer that started showing the patterns.) The "conveyor belt" moving the continents around filled in a major hole in the CD theory---how/why did they move?

6 hours ago, Marc1 said:

If it is new, just return it

Well I've wanted this anvil for quite some time now and it came to me in Tennessee from Washington State.. I think I'll hold on to it.. it's a beautiful anvil and I mounted it last night and did some forging on it.. it's really not as bad as it first seemed it would be to keep the forge scale off the striking surface..

I talked with the metalergist at the foundry the rhino anvils are made and he told me they are ground on a large surface grinder and it does use a magnetic chuck. He is not sure what incandescent iron works does for polishing but he said if there is any magnetism in the anvil it will work itself out.

First off thank you.. secondly incandescent doesn't sell the anvils any longer.. Morgan-Jade ironworks now is the sole world distributor of the rhino anvil.. however it still has incandescent's logo cast into it.. he did tell me it should work it's self out.. 

15 hours ago, JlBlohm said:

I talked with the metalergist at the foundry the rhino anvils are made and he told me they are ground on a large surface grinder and it does use a magnetic chuck. He is not sure what incandescent iron works does for polishing but he said if there is any magnetism in the anvil it will work itself out.

I really appreciate you talking with the metalurgist..thank you