I Forge Iron

Something interesting for newbs as well as experienced makers.

A lady I work with was shopping at a local salvage store when she found a box of 12" Nicholson files for $7.  Naturally she bought them as they were a deal.  When she got them home and opened them she found they were already ground into knife blades from the factory.  For a newb this makes life very easy, just a little work to make a point (I'd still give it a temper in the oven for good measure) and all the work is done. 

The pn for this one was 07090, there are other sizes available on the net. 

So far I've only talked her out of one.  lol   As of yet I don't know what the industrial application of these are, maybe one of you guys do.

001-13.jpg002-14.jpg

Greetings JMC,

The knife blade file is a very useful tool in the machine shop ..  I have several and use them frequently for machine restoration.   Very handy for thread work..  Got a burr on a post vise screw ...  Try one

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Here's a "pig sticker" I started today.  I gave it a little soft back draw then a 450F temper.  I figure for such a long and thin blade it needed a little more toughness.  You might notice a little white on the tip, that's concrete from being dropped on the floor; twice. :o  (yeah, on purpose) ;)

003-9.jpg

Here's an update on that Nicholson Knife file build. I shaped the point and gave it a soft back draw followed by a 450F temper. Then the guard was forged out and fit. I brazed a 5/16 all thread onto the tang (all state 11) and fit the stag. It survived 2 dead drops from eye level leaving a pair of divots in my concrete floor. Still needs a little cleaning up and a scabbard. 

002-15.jpg