I Forge Iron

Show me your mechanical hammer

I started this hammer before I'd ever knew who Clay Spencer was but this is my version of the Tire Hammer, I got a lot of my ideas from seeing the late Jim Paw-Paw Wilson's hammer. He was very helpful with dimensions and concept but in the end, I used very few of his dimensions as they didn't work with the materials I had available. This isn't a junkyard hammer per say, but it is in deed, made almost entirely from scrap. The only new part was the pillow block bearing. The hammer head weight is 35# or so and the anvil is somewhere around 375 to 400#. The base plate weighs another 275# IIRC. The dies are railroad rail welded to mild plate and use 1/2" bolt to mount to the hammer and anvil. The spindle is from a full sized Ford of the late 70s. The tire is a Mopar mini-van spare 21" in diameter and the drive hub on the heavy duty 1/2" hp 1725 rpm motor is 3". The math gives a potential BPM of around 246. The round part of anvil, much against advice is made from 1.25" x 8" diameter mild plates, and then covered with a section of tapered light pole shaft (Purely for aesthetics). To eliminate as much of the claimed deadening, I put them in Jr Stasil's (irnsrgn) 70 ton hydraulic press to weld. I believe it helped because before assembly I could tap on one end and feel a clear crisp shock on the other as well as a satisfying ring. The top part of the anvil is 5" plate x 5" x 10" long to bring the anvil to its final height. All mounting plates were CNC flame cut, and CNC drilled and tapped. Some day I might actually paint it but for now it wears standard shop colors :D
Scott

Now that is an very nicely done hammer,even more so because it was built with what was at hand and with no prints.
Would it be too much to ask for more pics?I`d especially like to see some side pics and maybe one of the back with a view of the pivot point and how the motor is hung and the linkage attached.
I really am impressed by your attention to detail and the fit and finish is several orders of magnitude removed from the average "junkyard hammer".You`ve obviously been in the fab game for a while and know your way around.

Now that is an very nicely done hammer,even more so because it was built with what was at hand and with no prints. Would it be too much to ask for more pics?I`d especially like to see some side pics and maybe one of the back with a view of the pivot point and how the motor is hung and the linkage attached. I really am impressed by your attention to detail and the fit and finish is several orders of magnitude removed from the average "junkyard hammer".You`ve obviously been in the fab game for a while and know your way around.
Thank you for the kind words. There are a few things i would do diferently if I were to start over, but overall, I'm quite satisfied with the results. Many feel I beam is inappropriate for the mast on a mechanical hammer due to twist, but I think mine is wide enough (12") that it's not much of an issue. As for the fabrication, I did in fact work in fabrication for a number of years. For my own projects, I probably build them a thousand or so times in my mind, in doodles on scraps of paper, etc and even in crayon while sharing with the grand kids ;) before I ever cut a piece of material. I have often been acused of over thinking a situation, but so far, I haven't had to rebuild a machine or forge due to failure. Minor tweaks; yes, but total overhaul, no. Anyway, here are some shots of the motor pivot. The rod runs down to a simple treadle bar that can be reached from all angles 300 or so degrees around the business side of the machine.

post-38-074714000 1285870789_thumb.jpg

post-38-067330600 1285870790_thumb.jpg

post-38-088571800 1285871351_thumb.jpg

Sure it`s not the porch glider in the background that`s got you thinking about calm summer evenings? :)

Yeah, the porch glider does say "feng shui" but the power hammer says BANG shui to me. Maybe I need to get a porch glider for my shop. :rolleyes:

Frosty the Lucky.

Thank you for the kind words. There are a few things i would do diferently if I were to start over, but overall, I'm quite satisfied with the results. Many feel I beam is inappropriate for the mast on a mechanical hammer due to twist, but I think mine is wide enough (12") that it's not much of an issue. As for the fabrication, I did in fact work in fabrication for a number of years. For my own projects, I probably build them a thousand or so times in my mind, in doodles on scraps of paper, etc and even in crayon while sharing with the grand kids ;) before I ever cut a piece of material. I have often been acused of over thinking a situation, but so far, I haven't had to rebuild a machine or forge due to failure. Minor tweaks; yes, but total overhaul, no. Anyway, here are some shots of the motor pivot. The rod runs down to a simple treadle bar that can be reached from all angles 300 or so degrees around the business side of the machine.

Thanks for the additional pics and info.Those little things like the rounded cap on the motor mount and the other small things make all the difference in the fit and finish of a project.
Those are the type of things I work into the bikes I build and the machines I make.I think a finely made tool or machine inspires us to do fine work.

If you wouldn`t mind I`d like to get some opinions and advice from you as my hammer progresses.I may need some help and guidance on the linkage arms and spring assembly especially.

Joan and I left at 5:45 this morning to make the trip north for my new mechanical hammer. Just got back and wanted to put up a few pictures for you all to see. I think you will be able to read the beam but it is a 40 lbs. Bradley cushioned helve.

Dick

post-6796-048633700 1286051389_thumb.jpg

post-6796-056225900 1286051422_thumb.jpg

post-6796-089658800 1286051458_thumb.jpg

post-6796-040258900 1286051476_thumb.jpg

The gentleman I got it from never hit a piece of hot metal with it. He got it for splitting growth rings on tree bark to make the strips for baskets. He is a master basket maker. He put in that setup because it worked better for what he wanted.He needed fine control with a light tap.
There was a repair done on the crank connection before he got it and it worked fine for him so I will wait and see what it's like before I make any changes at all.
When I step on the treadle lever to release the brake it rolls through it's cycle real nice with no slop anywhere.
Can't wait to try it. I need to prepare a footing for it in the shop.

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Frosty,

Why did Virgil sell that nice hammer? They aren't going to close the I.R.B.I. are they? Or is Hunter taking over?

Greebe

He got a nicer 50 and had to make room. At a fast count he has two self contained whether Sahliners, Kuhns or (?) a couple pneumatic utilities and the 25 LG.

He was so back ordered on knives he had both boys working nearly full time.

How do you know Virgil and did you know Irwin and or Whip?

Frosty the Lucky.

He got a nicer 50 and had to make room. At a fast count he has two self contained whether Sahliners, Kuhns or (?) a couple pneumatic utilities and the 25 LG.

He was so back ordered on knives he had both boys working nearly full time.

How do you know Virgil and did you know Irwin and or Whip?

Frosty the Lucky.

I just left Alaska this past year after living there for nearly ten years. My wife and I moved recently outside and are kind of regretting it.

I only knew Virgil from stopping in and talking to him a few times over the years. I didn't know him though as a personal friend. I had a buddy that I worked with from the Girdwood Fire Department that made a few knives with him. Don't know if he still goes down there or not these days.

Greebe

Frosty,

Maybe you remember me from a few emails. I was in Sutton and then Nome before leaving this past year. I really had good intentions to make it up you way but never got a chance.

Take Care,
Greebe

I remember now. You know/knew Steve VanCleeve?(sp?)We see him at meetings now and then.

I sure wish we could've gotten together. How are you hooked up with the smiths in WV? I have a couple good online friends in WV.

Small world eh? Too cool.

Frosty the Lucky.

• 1 year later...

the 25 # little giant found in a barn. I was trying to talk the grandson into letting me buy grandpa's old anvil (a really nice old 250# ER) but didn't have any luck because he "used it to straighten stuff". He is a good friend and said I could use that old thing. under old hydraulic hoses and about a inch of grease and dust was this 1927 old stile little giant. run by a 1 horse Montgomery Words motor

IMG_20110831_101859.jpg