I Forge Iron

90 layer Stout EDC Knife

kayakersteve

• 2 weeks later...

neither, 90 layers means 90 layers . 

if it is just a fold (a term that is a real misnomer in most cases)  we double what we had in a fold.  So starting with 10 layers the first fold results in a billet of= 20, layers.  If we then fold again =40 then folded again = 80 layers.

In most cares we do not actually do a 'fold'. Much faster, If we start with 10 pc of steel, weld and draw, then cut that welded billet into 3 and reweld,  resulting in 30 layers.  When we do it again, draw and cut into 3 and reweld again we have 90 layers. This was the same effort as 2 "folds"  but less fuel has been used, and less metal lost to forge scale to get the layer count up also.

neither, 90 layers means 90 layers . 

if it is just a fold (a term that is a real misnomer in most cases)  we double what we had in a fold.  So starting with 10 layers the first fold results in a billet of= 20, layers.  If we then fold again =40 then folded again = 80 layers.

In most cares we do not actually do a 'fold'. Much faster, If we start with 10 pc of steel, weld and draw, then cut that welded billet into 3 and reweld,  resulting in 30 layers.  When we do it again, draw and cut into 3 and reweld again we have 90 layers. This was the same effort as 2 "folds"  but less fuel has been used, and less metal lost to forge scale to get the layer count up also.

I see.  Thanks for the info.

Any way you cut it, 90 layers seems like LOT of labor on the part of the knifemaker.

not really,  most my blades are closer to 300 layers, ( add one more draw an reweld to the above explanations of 90 basically) and some are as high as 600, which is again just one more single "fold"  It is a labour of love of the end result.

Wicked little poker :) I like it a lot!

I actually prefer a low layer count (60 - 100) I think it displays the differences in the metals better. High layer counts have there place, mind you; they  work nice with larger and exotic patterning and composites.

Just my opinion. -_-

Scott

I see.  Thanks for the info.

Any way you cut it, 90 layers seems like LOT of labor on the part of the knifemaker.

A lot depends on the starting material. I have worked with banding and band saw which is about .06" thick so you want to start with more layers. I started with 21 layers. Welded and drew out and cut in 3 and welded a second time. So with only 2 welds, it yielded 63 layers. One more cut and re-stack in 3 pieces would have yielded 189. It adds up exponentially. I'm getting ready to do a billet with 33 layers to start. Using the same method I could have nearly 300 layers in 3 welds