I Forge Iron

Auto-darkening shields and welders flash

Hey Man,

I was gonna say something funny about us (as Mr. Frosty said) and some pain somehow connected together. Unfortunately can't put that into the right words. 

Anyways what I really ment to say is: get better soon, and I root for your health insurance - hoping you won't need to use it very often!

Greetings

Gergely

What's this Mr. stuff Gergely? Is there somebody respectable behind me? <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

I have an auto darkening solar powered shield and I noticed the delay right off. My eyes are light sensitve so I taught myself to blink when I pull the mig trigger. Maybe its not perfect but it works ... most of the time. Try it.

Petehdgs

I have an auto darkening solar powered shield and I noticed the delay right off. My eyes are light sensitve so I taught myself to blink when I pull the mig trigger. Maybe its not perfect but it works ... most of the time. Try it.

Petehdgs

It shouldn't be doing that Pete unless you're eyes are REALLY light sensitive. You may be messing in the wrong trade. At least change to an old style shield and learn to flip it down.

Frosty The Lucky.

Fresh batteries can make a world of difference, as can environmental conditions. Pipeline weldors almost all use simple fixed shade glass pancake hoods: working outdoors there is lots of ambient light, and the complex mechanisms do not tolerate extreme heat, cold, rain and sweat.

Also note that there is a huge quality difference between a $50 import hood and a $350 name brand unit. I keep the cheapos for student loaners, you have to be an exceptional individual for me to loan my Speedglass to you for more than 5 minutes to see the difference.

I never even considered using them until a couple years ago when I won it at an Ironworker competition. Since it was a good shield, I kept it and used it here and there when working in confined spaces as Dave mentioned and for Repetitive stitch welds so I would not have to flip, weld, repeat all day long. With large structural applications I pick up my cheap-o Jackson shield but for more precise work, I found I prefer the auto-darkening hood. Also as Dave mentioned, Both have their applications.

-Crazy Ivan

I did just this morning actually. Today was the first day I have been able to be back on my feet after tweaking my back last wednesday (or thursday?) So one of the first things I did was inspect the sensors and they were all (except for one) clean and clear. This shield has 4 sensors though and most have only 2 so I can't see that being a huge deal, but in this case it might have been enough. It wasn't spattered, just a bit dusty and a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol cleaned it right up. I'm hoping that was the culprit but I am still gonna go ahead and replace the battery just to be on the safe side. I always change out the clear lenses every couple days so that was definitely not the case. Its still likely to be another few days to a week until I'm able to go back to work without risking re-injuring myself again. Hopefully I can have the new battery delivered in time for that.

-Crazy Ivan

you should be able to get one local at Wally World or local Watch Shop if it is a "lithium ion" the (Best you can get) it will out last the hood  . I wish you well and a fast recovery . By the way GO GET YOUR EYES CHECKED OUT ! !  You only have two if you do not take care of them they cannot take care of you Brother ! While it may have been a mild burn ( to you a bad one ) you should get your eyes checked out by an Optometrist (Eye Doctor)  and make sure there is No Permanent Damage to your eyes and a good time to see if you need Glasses too .

Best Regards & Blessings Brother Ivan

I've welded thousands of pieces and parts win an automatic lens ( Huntsman ).  Not a cheap one.  What Coleen said for sure.  I still have the green shade 10 Jackson and I actually have ( somewhere) an old Huntsman I got 40 years ago.  The Jackson is the prize.  The auto is in a Huntsman.  I've been burned eyes anyway) twice.  Both times at home with my own plasma.  You see those idiots on TV running a plasma bare eyed.  I got it around the edges of my old shade 5's.  Ivan, i hope you find the problem.  My guess is outside, you need the fixed lens. Welding with a 400 amp pulse welder and a partner you will get burned (skin ) if you raise the helmet too quickly for sure.  You folks are experienced and knew this.

• 2 weeks later...

I could have use an auto-darkening helmet yesterday.  I'm building an outdoor bench with the legs at different angles.  When I was tack welding the legs to the bench, I used magnets, one hand on the leg holding it in place and the other on the wire feed gun.  I had to grab the gun and lower/flip down my old style helmet which of course moved the leg just enough to start all over.  Or, when I flipped the helmet down something moved.  I got it done after about 5 attempts.  But it would have saved me time and a lot of frustration.      

The only time I have burned my eyes over the years with my any of my autoshields was while welding outside.  When I am anywhere that the sun is hitting into my hood from the rear I have gotten into the habit of putting a weld curtain behind me or if that isn't and option I have even been known to throw a rag over the top of the hood to block light entry from the rear.  The hood I use now is a Jackson True sight which I bought because of the huge viewing window because I get in real tight spots with some of the stuff I build from time to time.

I don't know what the issue with light from the rear is, but I really suspect that it changes how dark your hood is when it activates.  Have never thought to ask anyone about it before.