I Forge Iron

Looking for a little help

Abeaty1387

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised to discover how many IFI gang members live within visiting distance. Steve is a good example if you can believe THAT!

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a pair I got as an all or nothing estate sale, lots of good stuff but I got a lot I couldn't use. While looking through a nice pile of tongs I discovered a pair that were reigns welded to a pair of slip joint pliers. I gasped in horror, the very thought that a blacksmith might be caught dead with something so non-blacksmitherly was nightmarish so I quickly stuffed them in an out of sight place and pretended no such thing contaminated my smithing area. Oh NO, not MINE!

Well, comes the day I'm doing a little steel mashing and didn't have a pair of tongs that fit so in desperation grabbed that abhorrent pair of long handled pliers and darned if they didn't work a treat. Not great but darned handy in a pinch and adjustable to boot. I have them hanging from the dedicated tong rack on my shop forge if they're not in the bucket as part of my traveling kit. the guys I teach grab them pretty frequently too.

I'd put up a pic but I can't even find the darned file! . . Stupid Windows 8! If anybody says, "buy a Mac", I'll think harshly unkind thoughts about you!

<grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

I'd put up a pic but I can't even find the darned file! . . Stupid Windows 8! If anybody says, "buy a Mac", I'll think harshly unkind thoughts about you!

<grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, you need a mac when it rains as umbrellas don't like wind!

I get the mutters regularly with windows 8 and compatibility etc. I have the Rt. Version(worse than normal) however every now and then I'm amazed at just how smart it can be! In my case I think it's more of stupid operator that stupid operating system ?????

Ian

I dumped Microsoft the last time they forced copies of norton on me, and it locked up the other protection program I was already using, so I wiped it all out and went Unbuntu Linix, :) my system is so much faster now.  No more MS crap on my machine now :)

KUBUNTU anyone?  

Hmm I got my favorite pair of tongs in Ohio at the South High Fleamarket in Columbus---cost me US$1.50; I bought another neat pair at Quad-State a couple of years back  was in a big pile of ugly tongs for $10 a piece.  I didn't slow down as I usually buy at $5 to $8 for "special" tongs.  Then stopped dead and went back and paid $10 for 1 smallish pair in the pile---they were commercially made titanium tongs.

If you can't get a-holt of NOB  try SOFA