I Forge Iron

Demo checklist

I actually got my first starting blacksmith lesson in Sca reenactment, flailing away at my first try at a leaf or anything, with crowds of people assuming I was an actual blacksmith asking questions, at one point I actually resorted to, "Im not really a blacksmith but I did stay at  a holiday Inn express last night" (for those who remember those commercials), 

I have since (learned a bunch) and done many public demos, the list looks pretty complete at this point, one thing I might add, if you are working with or around other smiths, bring a means to deaden the ring of the other guys anvil, though my HB sucured tightly enough to the stand to stop the ring, 1 or 2 other guys with small anvils bouncing around on stumps with shrill rings threatening to crack your safety specs make for a high fatigue low fun experience, you want to be able to talk with your audience and be in a good mood at the time.  I have improvised  a heavy magnet and shop rag under the heel, rope, etc, (with proper diplomacy) but a spare rubber bungie cord to wrap the waist might work better,  not a fan of going deaf for no good reason

Woodsmith

How did the demo go?

Sieve?! Go on then, what's that for?

Sieve - to separate little pieces of clinker from the coke.

Went well cheers. I just showed leaf making,twisting and scrolling on repeat.
Can't remember who said it but I think maybe Frosty said in an old thread somewhere that audiences want to see stuff happen quick - so I just did quick things.
I did however do a bit of fluxless fire welding too which drew a big crowd which got a collective "wow" & even a round of applause.
One thing I'd overlooked is how tricky it is to explain the simplest of processes in non techno jargon..."so before firewelding I'm just going to upset and scar...err...I mean make it thicker at the end and put a step in it".
I bumped into one of the venue managers later in the pub & he said that they loved having me there & would like to have me there semi-permenantly, which if nothing else is a lovely vote of confidence & an avenue with possibilities.

Sounds like you had a great time.

Just one point I would avoid doing any fire welds at a public demo - molten metal and flux flying around is a big risk, just think, your anvil is roughly the same height as a lot of kids faces.

Some parents can be stroppy if you burn holes in clothing burning holes in their kids tends to hack them off big time  :ph34r:

Wayne

I would avoid doing any fire welds at a public demo - molten metal and flux flying around is a big risk, just think, your anvil is roughly the same height as a lot of kids faces.

Yeah I asked parents to stand infront of their kids for that exact reason. The closest person was about 6 feet away so I felt it was OK. Definitely not something worth taking risks with.

Sounds like you have a good day Joel! Just got back from a days trading at a RSPB event, apart from the many downpours it was a good day.

In terms of selling your wares, how do you rate doing live demos compared to just there to sell? I know it's not always about the money but I imagine it must be hard to sometimes do both.

Sounds like you had a fine time Joel. Wayne's point about about forge/fire welding at demos is  more than valid, it can hurt people, maybe cripple someone. There are precautions though, at some places who have had the grace and lack of judgement to let me work in their demo/living history smithies they almost all have the same policy. ANY iron/steel at high yellow or sparking heat must be struck away from the audience. You step around between the audience and the anvil so any spatter is blocked you you. Period.

Another acceptable precaution is a shield, fine screen or clear plexiglass that blocks anything coming off the anvil from getting past. I like the shield it should be made to wrap around all the angles the smith doesn't need to do the job so nothing can go anywhere but the ground my apron or behind me.

You're right, I've found the audience wants to see a start to finish piece and it needs to be under about 10-15 minutes or they'll get bored and wander off. I have in fact passed that little observation of mine along here some time ago. I'm really happy to see it's not a total bust.

Audiences also like to see spectacular, big really HOT steel is a draw but nothing beats yellow spatter flying so welds are good if done safely.

Being invited as a semi permanent demonstrator should include compensation, materials, fuel, sales and a stipend wouldn't be beyond reason. It's a SWEET deal if you can get it. Oh, I didn't mention the free publicity and I certainly wouldn't bring it up during negotiations. <wink>

Frosty The Lucky.

In terms of selling your wares, how do you rate doing live demos compared to just there to sell? I know it's not always about the money but I imagine it must be hard to sometimes do both.

I'm still very new to blacksmithing/markets/demos but I've definitely noticed that even filing something - just so you're doing something - creates more intetest than just standing there smiling like a retail assistant drone.

Yeah I asked parents to stand infront of their kids for that exact reason. The closest person was about 6 feet away so I felt it was OK. Definitely not something worth taking risks with.

Check your insurance Joel, ours stipulate 10 feet minimum from heat source, that could/does include red hot metal not in a fire.

Anvil height is about head height on kids, always be alert and aware.