I Forge Iron

My first Forge

biggraypig

Just picked this up to hammer out a few small projects. I am new to the trade so any information is appreciated. Everything seems to be in working order, needs a bit of work but will be good to go in no time at all.
Couple of questions?
Should I line this forge? I work at a coal fired power plant and have access to ceramic refractory and plenty of fly ash. If so what would be the best way to go? I was thinking ceramic with fly ash packed in tight.
I need some tongs. What do you prefer? Mostly for small projects, forge welding, knife blades, hinges etc.
Thanks for any help.

post-53205-0-90967800-1396208759_thumb.j

post-53205-0-75442400-1396209059_thumb.j

post-53205-0-43882800-1396209270_thumb.j

Nice little forge, I have a similar one, and it had the words cast into it, "clay Line", so I just dug some clay out of the horse paddock and clay lined it. The refractory you mention would be fine. Cheers and good luck

Would this be ok to line a forge with? Durafrax 2000. Sorry for the newby ? But I haven't seen anything in my search for knowledge. Then I will tamp it in with what we call sludge here at the power plant. It is silica fly ash byproduct from burning coal in the boiler with a polymer added to make a cake out of it.
Thanks for any input.

post-53205-0-28028300-1396494157_thumb.j

post-53205-0-33212300-1396494233_thumb.j

Nice forge, good score. Can't hurt to ram some damp clay into it. I have a larger cast iron forge that's cracked nearly in two pieces, probably someone doused a fire with water while it was HOT. Says "clay before use" cast proud in the pan.

The potential harm caused by claying is if water gets under the clay and causes it to rust out. I believe that's more common with sheet steel pans though.

Frosty The Lucky.

I recommend not lining rivet forges, just allow ash to accumulate in the bottom around the grate. If you need a deep fire, recommended, place two fire bricks on each side of the grate and you will have a close equivalanet to a fire pot. I have one that has been in use for over 10 years and only replace the grate every 2-3 years.

When I've need to clay a forge I dug it out of the creek and mixed it with wood ashes---or use adobe out here where creeks are unknown and arroyos flow maybe 4 times a year.  Fancy folk use fire clay from a masonry supply store.

Are you over thinking this?

1500 Celsius = 2732 Degree Fahrenheit

Thermal Expansion 30 °C—1500 °C ...... **** (Noted as above in Fahrenheit)

The Math in equations are as follows  ....

8.3 × 10-6 /°C  (is equal to) 4.6 × 10-6/ºF

This is to say the following : Maximum Use Temperature ..... 1,250 °C  (= to 2,282 °F) **** (As per their Manufacturing Process Recomendations -- MPR)
Note the Temperature Differance that the "Manufacture States is the Highest  Recomended / Functional Opperating range"

Also as per thair Site " Combined with the appropriate attachment method, Durafrax® 2000 can overcome temperature limitations, impact, and abrasion problems in many different industrial environments."
I highly recomend you call "Saint-Gobain" and Speak to them about the Temperature Range you are wanting to use this Product in a Forge . Here is their Contact Information :

Greetings Biggraypig,

You have a nice forge there...  You do have some work to do to make it work for you ...  Make sure you inspect blower operation and lube the bushings..  You should also inspect the pawl and ratchet and lube as well.. Next stop is the belt..  A 1/8 leather belt with lacing will do just fine ..  Thicker belts doe not work as well on the small blower pulley..  Another suggestion is that your pump handle is to long...  I would suggest a wheel barrel handle with a turned down shaft much shorter..  They are available at any hardware store..   Forget all the super refractory and as Frosty says just some clay will do just fine.. I wish you well and look forward to you showing us your first project....

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Thanks guys I always seem to overthink things. I did think a shorter handle would be better. Everything works very good. Got the blower apart today to clean it up and oil it, need to braze a piece back on that was broken then should be good to go. Cut me a new belt out of some garlock gasket material, it is 1/64 thick rubber on both sides with fibers in the center much like a serpentine belt. I think it will work pretty good. Really appreciate all the help.

I recommend not lining rivet forges, just allow ash to accumulate in the bottom around the grate. If you need a deep fire, recommended, place two fire bricks on each side of the grate and you will have a close equivalanet to a fire pot. I have one that has been in use for over 10 years and only replace the grate every 2-3 years.

Herb,

Where do you get the grate?  I have a rivet forge that looks identical to the one posted in this thread, but the grate is shot.

Rotted out between the top flange and the cast pan.

If I had a lathe - I would be golden.

BTW. I lined mine with ground up clay from a bag of Speedi-dri.  And yes, use fire brick to make the height for the coal or else you will burn a lot of coal.

Bill

Bill

Shortened the handle up a bit, everything spins very well, I think it will be a very nice little forge when I'm done fixing. Just need to find some time to go back together. Got my new tuyere, so just need to braze the broken piece, go back together and build a fire.

Ok,first please don't take the suggestions about not lining a cast iron rivet forge!!When I first got my rivet forge,I clayed it.After reading people's posts about claying not being necessary I just took the clay out,bad idea!!The forge cracked soon after while I was starting my forge fire,no,I didn't pour on water or do anything to crack the pan other then start a fire!

admanfrd,this is a cast iron forge and most people don't know how to properly weld cast iron(including me)brazing is definitely a better option imo.