I Forge Iron

Made this anvil table, comments?

I made this round "anvil table". Made from a piece of 3" thick steel with holes drilled around the perimeter. They could be useful for hanging tongs etc. 

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.com/blog//Round-Blacksmith-Anvil-Table/

Legs made of structural tubing, not plumbing pipe. Everything welded with 7018 electrodes.

I hope that some blacksmiths will find this table useful. I have a few more steel rounds like this and I wanted to make a few more of these.

Weight appx. 350 lbs.

Any comments?

post-5484-0-48765400-1396094657_thumb.jp

Looks like a usefull addition for bashing and bending..........I have drawn an attachment that could prove usefull........Basicly it's a pair of non paralell bars conected at the ends of say 1.5'' round and would have pegs to drop into opposing hole in your plate for curving and straitening. The taper is usefull for accomodating things like twists in bars where you don't want to mess up the flutes when truing them up....just a thought.

post-15096-0-07745200-1396105963_thumb.j

I certainly wish I had something like that when I built my anvil stand!  Very stout piece of kit.

The holes would be great for storing punches and the like if the diameter is right.  I could also see them being simply a fastening point for a tray/holder set up that could be moved out of the way. 

I certainly wish I had something like that when I built my anvil stand!  Very stout piece of kit.

The holes would be great for storing punches and the like if the diameter is right.  I could also see them being simply a fastening point for a tray/holder set up that could be moved out of the way. 

I think that they are good for tongs and stuff. Plus good for bending things. 

Instead of putting holes in the plate, I would suggest running two rows of round rod around the legs near the top, with one rod attached to the outside of the legs, and the other rod attached to the inside of the legs.  That would leave the surface clear, and allow hanging tongs, hammers and bottom tools.

post-2340-0-59164300-1396126990_thumb.jp

The holes are useful, I used a heavy axle for a field improvised anvil some years ago, the bolt holes in the flange were very handy. Drop pins in and they can make fine bending jigs of all kinds.

A handy piece of equipment for a smithy.

Frosty The Lucky.

Greetings Ich,

Looks like you got a great new tool going....  I might suggest some bigger pads for the floor contact ...  That's a lot of weight on the top..  Caution while bending and levering...  You might want to use another that you have on the bottom for weight...  If you offset the holes it would also be handy for upsetting.   I love to repurpose material   Great job...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Yes, it is exactly as you said, a blind pipe flange. But really a round piece of steel with holes.

I put this round blacksmith anvil table up for sale at a popular internet auction website.

Greetings Ich,

Looks like you got a great new tool going.... I might suggest some bigger pads for the floor contact ... That's a lot of weight on the top.. Caution while bending and levering... You might want to use another that you have on the bottom for weight... If you offset the holes it would also be handy for upsetting. I love to repurpose material Great job...

Forge on and make beautiful things
Jim

Jim, I think that one will do well to add some tabs on the bottom, with holes to bolt this table down to the floor.

Very nice job on the Anvil stand.

With that much weight up high I think some feet with a hole in them to mount to floor would be a good idea. Just in case the youngsters get to playing tag in shop and accidently knock it over.

Very nice job on the Anvil stand.

With that much weight up high I think some feet with a hole in them to mount to floor would be a good idea. Just in case the youngsters get to playing tag in shop and accidently knock it over.

Thanks. I agree on the feet with holes, however, a youngster could not tip it over, it is too heavy for that. It is really not very easy to tip over.