I Forge Iron

Is it worth it?

In my opinion a power hammer shold not be near in scale to what you can swing with your arm, it should take you into another realm and beyond. Making a minature PH requires as much planing, fabrication and skill as making one (aside from the cost of steel) that will handle 1'' sq+ without any problem. Go bigger, you'll be glad you did.

I've seen powerhammers designed to use a regular anvil and mount on the hardy hole in 2# range---for a fellow who had medical problems where he wasn't able to hammer much but still wanted to keep on smithing.  I've seen powerhammers in the 15# range designed to work sheet metal cold.  I've used smithing powerhammers up to 200# 

The most "bang for the buck" is definitely in the larger than a sledge hammer and at least in the commercially made ones it's far easier to do small work on a large hammer than large work on a small one.

Funny you should bring it up because I just found a neat picture of a 9# hammer that appears to be built around the cast-iron frame of a press.

bsphoto3311.jpg

Farwest Forge did something neat there, didn't they!?  :D

I agree that you should always go as big as you can stand - time, money and materials allowing.  But there's also something to be said for making what you can with what you have.

Weren't the smallest sized Kerrihard hammers in the 12-15# range and they moved metal real nice. Jr Strausel made a real nice little helve hammer that move steel nice too.  It might also be easier to work the kinks out on a little hammer project and then up the scale later when more mass was available.

Lightweight hammers aren't anything new.  You could easily build something that uses a 12# sledge hammer, as that's really nothing more than a down-sized Hawkeye Helve hammer.

That little hammer I posted earlier is a neat gizmo (built by Paolo Scordia), and runs at 350bpm.  Would it work on lighter stock?  Hate that I haven't found any more images or video of it, but it would at least be good for sheet-metal work.  http://farwestforge.com/Forum/bsgview.php?photo=3311&cat=T&by=

Maybe something more like this Depew hammer.....

US1485486-0.png

http://www.google.com/patents/US1485486?dq=power+hammer&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Zj4JU4H0M8PK0wGN8YDICQ&ved=0CF0Q6AEwBg

I like the ideas. I have had no time to work on the design. I hope to get it going soon.

I got rail track yesterday. Gunna use it for the anvil surface and hammer surface. What do you guys use to cut it? I was going to use an abrasive wheel.

I have an old Model A leaf spring. I think (hope) that should do it.