I Forge Iron

Here's an interesting anvil wish I had it!

I've only ever seen one other anvil that had that compound curvature along the face; it was a french anvil, too.  The way the curves changed shape as you move down the body looked dreamy for making various curves in a sheet.  I could definitely see an armorer wanting an anvil with an infinite number of swages built into it.

The "J" shaped side exit hardy hole feature is practically a birthmark on French anvils.  Stemmed tools will only fit one way on such a beast. This one just has the added odd topography on the surface to compound the issue.  But to any blacksmith skilled enough to work on such an anvil, making tools to fit should not have been an issue.

That's not at all an uncommon shape for French anvils.

I believe it's a "just an anvil" anvil.

That hump is probably there for drawing out, which would have made up a large percentage of work in a rural smithy of yesteryear.

The stubby little legs seen on French anvils are a design continuation from an earlier "church windows" form.