I Forge Iron

Anvil Reviews by name or brand

Glenn

I realize that this is a bit of a zombie thread, but thought that I would add something regardless. I'm currently using a 100# Vulcan that I purchased about 40 years ago from an old farm supply store here in central Illinois. I paid $50.00 for it and have used it quite a bit, it's still in excellent condition. I don't know what the ball bearing test would show, but it's been a very good anvil. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 110 pound Vulcan is also in very good shape and it's my go to anvil in the shop. It's marked 10 but on an accurate scale it does weigh 110 pounds, made in 1943, the only damage is a chip back by the heel, probably from a missed strike. I love it for it's quiet sound no ear plugs needed.

100_1801.thumb.JPG.1a0128f6194f5794fc51d58cf922c579.JPG

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Welcome aboard Deacon, glad to have you. Vulcans are good anvils and best of all quiet like a Fisher. IIRC the rebound test on a friend's Fisher was a little lower than a harder anvil but in the mid 80s. My Soderfors rebounds 95%+ but is dangerously loud, I wear plugs and muffs and a missed blow is painfully loud. 

We LOVE pics, anything you'd show a child is good, projects, work, tools, shop, scenery, most anything. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

On 2/5/2024 at 7:13 PM, Deacon said:

I don't know what the ball bearing test would show,

I forgot to add my Vulcan is a little lower than my Hay Budden 70% VS 80% which doesn't really mean a hill of beans to me.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

You know, Brian, that we may have been in the same room before...if you ever attended any of the Hammer-ins at New Salem. I was a regular, as I used to volunteer at the park and worked there in the forge with Jim Patton.