I Forge Iron

Awesome Lunch Brake, Found This Old Girl

So on my lunch brake I take my RR track to a one of the only true machine shops left in my town. The shop was opened in 1936 and has been passed to the current owner Don. I wanted to see if he could surface the track for me so I would have a nice machined flat face on my track. I started asking him about some of his machines and on a tour around the shop I found this beauty. the anvil stand is on a cast iron piston! It blew my mind, it was so very cool. I am in the process of trying to buy it from him as he is sadly closing the shop soon. Maybe someone can help me identify it and help with a fair price to offer him.

post-48222-0-38537600-1393443194_thumb.j

post-48222-0-95770300-1393443210_thumb.j

post-48222-0-84932400-1393443224_thumb.j

post-48222-0-52771500-1393443243_thumb.j

Hi Stoker, what you have looks to be a columbian anvil, cast steel anvil made by the columbian hardware co. The letter R raised in relief denotes the size. They used an alphabetical letter instead of weight in LB. It is always on that side to indicate the size, for instance 100 LB anvils are always denoted with an M, they never put wieght stampings. The other side of the anvil, with you're right hand on the horn usually has an inverted triangle with a C inside, though sometimes it is absent dut to wear or worn foundry mold. Very high quality anvil! I own quite a few Columbian anvils from 35 to 400 LBS all are marked with markings as I described. If it were Arm& Hammer it will have an oval shaped depression on the bottom of the anvil and a serial number on the front foot, I also own quite a few A &H anvils very high quality. I don't know the market in you're area but due to the fine condition 2-3$/ pound wouldn't be out of line but if you can get it for less so much the better! I would check rebound & ring... Good Luck! Hope this helps

If you get the anvil, you have to get the piston. Good Luck!

Value? Whatever you can afford, nothing more. Value has too many variables. For me I have 6 anvils from 50#-306# and I have paid just over $1 a pound,down to 50¢ a pound for all of them.It is only worth what you are willing to pay for it.

I

Yea, while that anvil is very nice, I wouldn't even think about buying it if the piston didn't come with it.  You will never be able to get a stump that's anywhere near as cool as that!  That setup just reeks of manliness!!

Price?  To be honest, I wouldn't have a problem paying anything under $5 per pound.  You're looking at an As-New anvil of top quality, and in a size range that's absolutely perfect for anything you might want to do.  If you were to price a brand-new anvil of similar size, you'll spend more than $5 per pound, especially with shipping costs included.

That's a tool that will not break unless you abuse it, and it won't depreciate in value over the years.  No belts to replace.  No gears to wear out.  No maintenance schedule to keep up with.  Don't get caught up in the idea that you have to get the anvil for cheap because anything less than the price of a new anvil is a good deal.

That anvil looks fantastic and the stand only adds to its value.  I would jump on it like fleas to a hound, and never feel bad about it.  I would also try to bundle as much as I could into the deal.  If the shop's closing, see if he'll let you buy more than just the anvil and stand.

My brother lives in Texas.  Nowhere near Abilene, but I sent him the picks of the giant piston and I think he's gonna go ahuntin' him a new end table!!

Blacksmith or car nut, a giant piston is just too great a treasure to pass up!  

I could see people traveling for miles just to lay eyes on the giant piston used as an anvil stump.  It would become an annual pilgrimage once word spread.  :D

The piston is from a single piston engine. He said that it used a glow plug, not unlike a giant model airplane engine. Believe it or not he said the way you started it was by walking a giant wheel , like a squirrel cage. A guy got on the wheel and walked until the engine fired. He said it was dangerous but effective.

If it's a Columbia we have a 100lber in the shop and it is deafening even chained and magneted.

Zach, chains don't make a measurable difference in the ring.  Magnets only decrease the ring if they are placed on the horn and heel to absorb the resonance.  If you want to kill the ring of an anvil, bed it in silicone caulk.  It makes them sound almost like a Fisher.  

The piston is from a single piston engine. He said that it used a glow plug, not unlike a giant model airplane engine. Believe it or not he said the way you started it was by walking a giant wheel , like a squirrel cage. A guy got on the wheel and walked until the engine fired. He said it was dangerous but effective.

Stove, I bet that was a sight to see!

Hi Stove, Just a follow up , my Columbian anvil that is marked with an R weighs in at 325 pounds maybe a little more. It was 30 degrees below zero yesterday so I didn't waste much time measuring but it is roughly 34 inches long. As mentioned above I would see what else you can get in the deal if he's closing the shop you may get other tools or materials. Of course the piston would be great to have too! I've been a picker and scrounger all my life and have seen huge pistons mostly around shipyards also railroad shops, never brought one home probably should have tho. Like a picker friend told me "I never regret the things I buy, just the things I didn't"! Good luck! Keep us posted

Hi Stove, Just a follow up , my Columbian anvil that is marked with an R weighs in at 325 pounds maybe a little more. It was 30 degrees below zero yesterday so I didn't waste much time measuring but it is roughly 34 inches long. As mentioned above I would see what else you can get in the deal if he's closing the shop you may get other tools or materials. Of course the piston would be great to have too! I've been a picker and scrounger all my life and have seen huge pistons mostly around shipyards also railroad shops, never brought one home probably should have tho. Like a picker friend told me "I never regret the things I buy, just the things I didn't"! Good luck! Keep us posted

Thanks Direwolf will do! Thanks for the info too!