I Forge Iron

Wrecking some padlocks

There was a request in another forum to get pictures of breaking padlocks.  It was a test I'd been planning on for a while, shooting some video of it, but hadn't gotten to that point yet.  I decided to go ahead and test it out with shooting photos and get the video at a future date.

I tried padlock breaking for the first time with one of my Wreckers that I was hanging onto for myself to shoot some demonstration videos later.  I wasn't as quick or graceful about it as Ryan Johnson, but I was successful.  My spike doesn't fit as well in the shackle of the padlock as the RMJ does.  Don't know if that will lead to changing the design down the road or not as busting padlocks is not the only design consideration with them.

Prior to starting on the lock, a standard Master Lock:

lockbreaker009_zps2d3b4e49.jpg

After the shackle broke:

lockbreaker018_zps97783b6d.jpg

Hard to tell from that pic.  Let's take a closer look:

lockbreaker019_zps8fc35c0a.jpg

You can see that I struck at the body of the lock with the point of the spike.  I honestly don't know if it was prying or striking that broke the shackle.  It wasn't a dramatic event and I didn't see it was broken at first.

I decided to try it with a lock with a shorter shackle.  It was even more difficult to fit the spike in with the heavy chain links.  I ended up striking with the spike until the lock popped open.  You could not re-lock it afterwards due to the damage.

lockbreaker036_zpscfe822a5.jpg

Here's a close look at the longer-shackeld lock:

lockbreaker047_zpsa87b849f.jpg

And the various places on the shorter one that got hit:

lockbreaker045_zpsf089fbe7.jpg

lockbreaker039_zps0471b1e9.jpg

lockbreaker041_zps0431c93f.jpg

It was hard to get my camera to focus on the end of the spike's point, but you can see that while the steel wasn't untouched, it almost was exactly like it started out.

lockbreaker054_zpsd703792a.jpg

I still plan on shooting video of lock breaking sometime down the road.

Why attack the lock when the chain is much easier to conquer? 

Much like trying to gain entry to a building by breaking down a wooden door instead of the large glass window beside the door. 

If your intent was to break the lock, then you did a fine job of it with little damage to the tool.

If you break the lock there will be a delay before another lock replaces it. Frequently a cheaper lock, lol, until the people realize they need to up the quality. Then if they do up the quality the chain is a viable next target. Lets you victimize the same place more times. If a chain is cut people seem more liable to replace it faster and upgrade everything faster.

I think y'all are taking it as being used by a burglar, but its intention is military and law enforcement "dynamic entry".  You're right, you want to attack the weakest point.  With a soft chain, it may stretch and be more difficult to snap than the hardened shackle on the padlock.  With a better lock, it may be smarter to attack what it's attached to, or the hinges or gate/door material itself.

Not as effective as a full breaching kit, but fast enough, a lot lighter and slimmer, and multi-functional.  Breaching-type activities are a major usage of a quality tactical 'hawk.

Like I said, this was my first time trying to take out a padlock with something other than a bolt cutter or a cutoff wheel in an angle grinder, and I wasn't sure how it'd do.  I'm happy with the result.  :)

Not to be a bubble popper, but busting locks is pretty easy.  All you have to do is wedge the lock so it can't easily move, put a large adjustable wrench on it and give a hard sudden twist.  Locks come with harden steel to make them difficult to saw, but the hardening makes them brittle.  Things you can learn in the army :-)

I have to agree,  I would say the lock is the weak link.  A good yank with a screwdriver and a fulcrum and it is amazing how quickly a padlock fails.

• 2 weeks later...

Stormcrow I like the axe and the versatility of being able to use as a tool and as a weapon. I like functional multipurpose tools. Even though I don't normally comment much I do usually enjoy your contributions to this site.

Bikecop I am former military LE dog handler, and also formerly civilian alarm response. So I sunk 11 or so years of my life into working for the criminal justice system. I very easily see why to go abut doing entries in the way people choose to do them. I personally got an adrenalin rush from doing hostile  and possible hostile entries. If I was on duty I did the entry. In fact in one situation I was actually picked up from walking along the road, when the responder who would be scene commander recognized me, and put me on duty, as he was responding, so I could go in with an entry into a credit union. I found it very amusing to find myself in that situation. Especially as this was years before cell phones and I had a several more miles walk to go. Needless to say I got a ride to my destination afterwards.  :D As for my younger years that was also interesting, lol.